WiFi Indoor Positioning
WiFi Indoor Positioning is an emerging technology that will enable accurate positioning of a mobile device inside buildings.
It is one of the major new features announced by Google for the upcoming Android P.
WiFi Indoor Positioning is based on IEEE 802.11mc WiFi protocol.
It is based on fine-time-measurement of RTT (round time trip) of signals in WiFi bands.
WiFi RTT has the following advantages over WiFi/BLE RSSI
- Better location accuracy
- Consistent location accuracy at a long range
- Quicker location measurement
- FTM responder can also serve as a WiFi softAP
WiFi Indoor Location
Compulab, an Intel IoT Solution partner, is offering:
- Ready-to-deploy IoT gateways with Indoor WiFi Location capabilities (FTM responders)
- Ready-to-use WiFi Indoor Positioning development kits including FTM responders and FTM client devices