A BIOS update 21-Jul-09 is released

irads

A BIOS update 21-Jul-09 is released

Post by irads »

To get the BIOS update check http://www.fit-pc2.com/wiki/index.php?title=BIOS_Update

BIOS update is safe on all fit-PC2. It is recommended but not critical.
The major changes are in ACPI. This should address issues with non-existent battery showing, installation issues, and ACPI related issues in other operating systems.

Mylife

Re: A BIOS update 21-Jul-09 is released

Post by Mylife »

Linux/*BSD tested on 256MB USB (Ubuntu Linux 9.04)

1) The shell way :
First, run as root : gparted or fdisk -l to know what your USB device is.
Then, run as root :

Code: Select all

dd if=<directory-with-128MBDOS.IMG-file>/128MBDOS.IMG of=/dev/<your-USB-device> bs=128M
2) The Python way :
You can reuse a script licensed under GNU/GPL V2 written by Intel in order to install the Moblin live image on a USB key : Follow these instructions : And accept the size warning message with no fear.

smitna

Post by smitna »

Hello,

after flashing the new BIOS (090721) Ubuntu isn't starting any more. Message: "operating system not found". The internal disk is properly shown in the BIOS, boot order is correct. If the system started from an external USB CD-ROM (Ubuntu 9.04), it was possible to boot from the hard disk (first setup-screen: "boot from first disk"). I figured out that there are 2 USB entries in the boot device exclude list, USB FDC and USB HDD (Default setup). These entries MUST be deleted and Hyperthreading MUST also be disabled. After this, the system boots up.
One thing more: With watchdog enabled, the system randomly reboots after a few minutes.
Could you please check this problems and is it possible to downgrade the BIOS (Link?)?

Thanks
Daniel

quagga

Post by quagga »

So going by posts I'm guessing mylife didn't have a problem and smitna has had a minor meltdown. Any other feedback.

I've ordered fit but it hasn't even shipped yet so I'm living vicariously through all of you :).

Mylife

Post by Mylife »

Indeed, no problem for me with BIOS default settings.
Except that I disabled C-states and used GV3 instead (no time to check if the system still hungs after this BIOS update when using xdmcp, scp or other network stuffs with C-states activated in BIOS).

I also kept my "boot=b" in the kernel options because my Ubuntu 9.04 still doesn't reboot otherwise.

This fit-PC2 is really awesome ! :D

prj

Post by prj »

I would not recommend this update at the moment, there seems to be some serious issues. After flashing the BIOS my system booted but the screen stayed black. After A LOT of fiddling I got the screen back up again and could get into the BIOS setup and load the default settings (EDIT: The black screen was due to problems with my LCD, not the FIT-PC2). The "Operating system not found" -problem seems to occur randomly when I change BIOS settings.

All the previously known Linux problems still remains after the update. It's nice to see that updates are coming along but this one doesn't bring anything useful for Linux users :(
Last edited by prj on Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

irads

Post by irads »

The 090721 BIOS version was tested with XP, Windows 7 and Ubuntu 8.04 before releasing and was found stable.
We will upload the original version for owners that find it better.
Please report any specific issues you find so we can look into them.

Thanks,

LamePaws

Post by LamePaws »

I think I found a work-around for the 'Operating System not found' error after
upgrading the BIOS.

I noticed that resetting the BIOS settings to default 'solved' the problem, so
I started fiddling with the BIOS settings and found that disabling the
Boot-time Diagnostic Screen was the solution. Booting with the Boot-time
Diagnostic Screen enabled always gave me the 'Operating System not found'
error, booting with the Boot-time Diagnostic Screen disabled always made it go
away.

So, while we wait for the bug to be fixed:

F2 -> Advanced -> Boot-time Diagnostic Screen -> disable

Grtz.

rvaneynd

Post by rvaneynd »

One little problem I discovered is that you can not create the bootable USB stick while running Windows 7.

After downloading unzipping the zip file, I run ImUpdate.exe.
I get an error when trying to create the bootable USB stick.
See attached file for error.

I had to go back to a Windows XP machine to create the bootable USB stick.
Attachments
bios-error.jpg
bios-error.jpg (51.86 KiB) Viewed 18649 times

Return to “BIOS updates fit-PC2”