Does IPC implement optional 8-channel PCM via HDMI?

csimon

Does IPC implement optional 8-channel PCM via HDMI?

Post by csimon »

8-channel PCM audio via HDMI is optional according to the HDMI 1.4 spec. Does IPC implement this optional feature?

"For digital audio, if an HDMI device supports audio, it is required to support the baseline format: stereo (uncompressed) PCM. Other formats are optional, with HDMI allowing up to 8 channels of uncompressed audio at sample sizes of 16-bit, 20-bit and 24-bit, with sample rates of 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, 176.4 kHz and 192 kHz"

csimon

Re: Does IPC implement optional 8-channel PCM via HDMI?

Post by csimon »

Is this question really too difficult for anyone to answer? I've had several attempts at asking the same question in different ways but there has been no clear answer given, all the answers are answers to different questions. Is the question not understood correctly or not clear enough? Is there any way I can make it clearer?

I am trying to find out if I can send multichannel uncompressed audio through the HDMI port. The answers I've had so far are either:

1. 2-channel uncompressed audio is supported. (Fine...but the question is about 8-channel audio, I already know that 2-channel audio works).

2. The HDMI socket supports HDMI standards (Fine, but 8-channel audio is optional in the standard, so the IPC could support it or not support it and still comply with the standard, so it doesn't answer my question about whether 8-channel audio is supported).

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

The audio codec supports 7.1 channels over SPDIF digital audio. This hasn't been verified on HDMI, so you're welcome to test it.

csimon

Post by csimon »

7.1 audio via SPDIF is compressed audio in a 2-channel container. This works via HDMI on the IPC.

The problem is that I'm not able to select multi-channel uncompressed output for HDMI. But I don't know if this is because of the HDMI device at the other end (the TV). I'd like to buy an AV amp that accepts HDMI so I can do multi-channel uncompressed audio, but obviously it's a lot of wasted money if the PC can't dop it in the first place. I don't know how else to test it.

What about IPC2? Am, I better off buying one of those, or don't you know if that supports multichannel audio either?

It would be very useful if you could find out - I can't beleive that you can sell a product without knowing its specifications.

Return to “Audio”