Mint Box 2 memory errors with 8GB+ installed

hwmartin

Re: Mint Box 2 memory errors with 8GB+ installed

Post by hwmartin »

irads wrote:excl. the incompatible DDR3L
irads, on the list of certified modules there is a DDR3L module. The Crucial is rated for 1.35V (DDR3L).

JEDEC specifies that all DDR3L-capable modules must be compatible with DDR3 memory controllers (see JEDEC Standard No. 79-3-1A.01). Since the Crucial module is DDR3L and is on the compatible memory list I believe my test results for the G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3L memory I purchased should be valid.

Just to clarify, while I only list test results for 3 different 16GB kits (G.SKILL, Patriot and Micron) I have actually tested 4 kits. I RMA'd the first G.SKILL memory kit to NewEgg and received a warranty replacement. The second kit experiences the same issues as the first, and the test results shown are for the second kit. The linux kernel panic image, using the April UEFI firmware, occurred using the first G.SKILL kit.

As best as I can tell, all the approved memory is 1333MHz, not 1600MHz. Could you please ask the HW team to test some 1600MHz kits? Also, if you could have them certify 2*8GB module configurations for a total of 16GB. The current approved memory list is a bit ambiguous as to whether dual channel operation is certified to work.

irads

Post by irads »

After studying hwmartin findings together with the architects of MintBox 2 here are the findings:

- Several currently available pairs of 8GB SODIMMs were tested with Intense PC:
Apacer 78.C2GCM.AT30C
Apacer 78.C2GCN.4230C
Crucial CT102464BF1339
Crucial CT102464BF160B
DSL D3SE12082XH12AA
Corsair Value 8GB 1600 CMSO8GX3M1A1600C11
- All tested RAM modules have been found to be working properly.
- MintBox 2 is specified to support 16 GB DDR3 1333/1600 1.5V in 2x 8GB configuration and is tested to meet this specification.

The observation of hwmartin indicate a fault with the specific unit. We will need to reproduce the problem for a complete diagnostic. Possible causes are:
- Damage to memory controller driver as a result of installing DDR3L
- Mechanical damage to the socket due to repetitive insertion/removal of RAM modules
- HW fault in manufacturing resulting in undetected marginality of memory sub-system.

hwmartin, you are welcome to contact our customers relations sales@fit-pc.com for assistance with returning or replacing the MintBox 2.

Thanks,

hwmartin

Post by hwmartin »

irads wrote:Crucial CT102464BF1339
Crucial CT102464BF160B
- Damage to memory controller driver as a result of installing DDR3L
irads, the above modules, certified to work with the MintBox 2 by Compulab, are DDR3L modules.
irads wrote:- Mechanical damage to the socket due to repetitive insertion/removal of RAM modules
I think this can be discounted as the original memory tests good.
irads wrote:- HW fault in manufacturing resulting in undetected marginality of memory sub-system.
I will coordinate with CompuLab to RMA my unit.
Last edited by hwmartin on Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

irads

Post by irads »

Let's withhold speculation until we can reproduce the observed behavior.
You should get a replacement unit in a few days. I believe you are going to run the same tests.
The MintBox 2 that exhibited this behavior should arrive at CompuLab. We will test it with the memories we have.

Then we can arrive at a more educated analysis.

hwmartin

Post by hwmartin »

Hi irads,

First and foremost, thanks for handling this issue so well. CompuLab staff have been incredibly helpful in coordinating the replacement.

Sadly, the replacement unit suffers from the same issue. I have only tested with a 1.5V, 1333MHz kit (the PSD316G1333SK), and there has only been one DIMM removal (to replace stock memory). No DDR3L, and no repeated replacement of DIMMs.

Here is my test output:

You kindly provided an updated list of compatible memory. I'm considering purchasing one of the kits on the list to resolve the issue, but I was wondering if CompuLab has run into any memory kits that are incompatible. I ask because there is no known list of incompatible modules, yet clearly there are persistent compatibility issues with the memory kit(s) that I have purchased.

irads

Post by irads »

I am sorry to hear MintBox 2 does not work with the memories you have. We can be quite confident after the replacement that there is no hardware fault in the specific unit you have.

During investigation of the problem you raised we double checked that and did not encounter failed memories with MintBox 2. Bear in mind that testing with 8 GB modules was more limited than 4 GB modules which are pre-installed.

Best regards

hwmartin

Post by hwmartin »

irads wrote:I am sorry to hear MintBox 2 does not work with the memories you have. We can be quite confident after the replacement that there is no hardware fault in the specific unit you have.
Okay, thanks irads. I will purchase memory that has been certified compatible and see how it performs.

txpc1

Post by txpc1 »

Question:

To upgrade the memory in my IntensePC MintBox2 (i5) do I need to replace BOTH included modules or can I upgrade only one?

In other words, do both modules have to be the same capacity and manufacture?

The reason I ask is that in years past I had installed mismatched memory modules and it worked fine, but this is a different type of memory now than what I worked with long ago.

Thanks.
---Brian

Republic of Texas

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

It is highly recommended to operate similar memory modules, though processor's memory controller can work independently on both channels as long as the module meet the specs. But of course performance may be degraded.

hwmartin

Post by hwmartin »

I thought I'd follow up with my experience. I ordered a Corsair 16GB kit that was certified to work with the MintBox 2 by CompuLab (PN: CT2CP102464BF1339). I installed the memory and it works just as expected.

The temperature of the memory actually exceeded that of all the other brands I had tried during memtest, hitting almost 85C :shock: but the computer is stable with it installed, which is a lot more than I can say for the other memory kits I tried.

Long story short: even though CompuLab says the MintBox 2 should work with any 16GB kit, you should stick with one of the kits they've tested and certified to work. Hopefully they will keep the compatibility list updated as new kits come out so people can find compatible memory that's still being sold.

Special thanks to irads for all the help he provided during my testing and in arranging the RMA of my first unit.

Return to “Intense PC faults and troubleshooting”