IntensePC and watchdog with debian

iagash

IntensePC and watchdog with debian

Post by iagash »

Hi,

I'm trying to use the watchdog feature on the IntensePC with debian Linux. I fount in this forum, that the iTCO_wdt should be responsible for the watchdog.

This module actually works, when I _disable_ the watchdog in the BIOS. But when I enable the watchdog in the BIOS an set a timeout of 300s, the system reboots even though I have /usr/sbin/watchdog running and it is writing to /dev/watchdog every second.

The interesting part is, that with the watchdog in the BIOS enabled, the system gets completely power cycled (including usb-power). When I just use the iTCO_wdt module with the watchdog in the BIOS disabled, there is just an reboot when the watchdog triggers.

What is the correct way to use the watchdog enabled in the BIOS, and how should it be resetted to keep the system running?

Thanks!

mbirger

Re: IntensePC and watchdog with debian

Post by mbirger »

Watchdog is a mechanism used to reset the system in times of failure. It has a BIOS settings that enables/disables the mechanism with time settings. In addition it has an OS driver used to disable the countdown mechanism if the boot phase successfully over and OS loaded. In case the system stuck and OS hasn't been loaded the enabled watchdog timer triggers and reset the system.

iagash

Post by iagash »

Hi,

yes thanks, that's waht I also thought. But which is the correct driver to load in linux?
The iTCO_wdt watchdog module and the corresponding user space application don't seem to keep the BIOS watchdog from rebooting the system.

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

"How to deal with watchdog in Linux?"
You need to install watchdog application and to edit 2 files

$ sudo apt-get install watchdog
$ cat /etc/watchdog.conf
watchdog-device = /dev/watchdog1
$ cat /etc/default/watchdog
run_watchdog=1
watchdog_module=iTCO_wdt

Now if you simulate kernel panic (as super user) $ echo c > /proc/sysrq-trigger The system will make restart after 60 sec

Return to “Linux on Intense PC”