First experience

dlast

First experience

Post by dlast »

Hi, It seems that I am one of the first Intense PC users, so I would like to post just few lines with my first impressions.

I have:
- Intense PC Value Barebone + SSD Vertex 2 + 1 memory module 4GB
- 2 esata drives in raid 1
- Tv on the HDMI output, HP LP2475w monitor on the Display Port
- 1Gb network attached
- usb keyboard and mouse

I am using Ubuntu 12.04.

The device is expected to run 24/7 as a small server with services like SVN repository, apache+php, ftp, nas,...

After few days of having it I think that I can already say that it simply works and meets all the expectations I had based on its specification.

Pleasant surprise is for me that even this "Value" version manages to play videos in fullscreen (with the exception of some youtube videos in fullscreen mode - it seems as an issue related to the latest Flash for Linux - best workaround I found is to right click video, select "pop out" and maximize the window instead of using the full screen mode - with the launch panel autohide on, the result is virtually fullscreen video with just the thin Ubuntu panel on the top of the screen). So in addition to what I expected from this device, I can use it as an HTPC also, which is great.

In common work (browser, Office, launching applications) the UI is quite responsive, launches application quickly, system start-up is also very quick.

I can confirm that it is 100% silent (as long as the esata drives are standby).

For the temperature - it gets very hot when under load, but still it is possible to keep hand to it.

In hand it feels very solid. It is all metal (also the bottom part with the service door).

igor

Re: First experience

Post by igor »

We are glad to hear about your positive experience with the Intense PC and appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback.
While the Intense PC can get hot to the touch, the thermal and electronic design has been tested extensively and the Intense PC is fully verified to operate properly even if the external temperature seems high.
Hope that you'll continue to enjoy your Intense PC. You are more than welcome to share your further experiences.

Return to “Linux on Intense PC”