annoying noise

JuTs

annoying noise

Post by JuTs »

Hi,

After having trouble to get sound from my IntensePC on Windows 8, I have another problem : the Intense PS is making an annoying high pitched screeching noise. This noise is more evident when reading/writing data (note : I have a SSD)
In fact the most annoying thing is that this noise is "propagated" through the speaker.

What can I do to eliminate this noise, or at least reduce it ?

Julien

irads

Re: annoying noise

Post by irads »

Intense PC incorporates an advanced switching power circuit designed for reducing power consumption. A side effect of the switching is a faint humming - significantly lower than the noise produced by a fan. The humming is pronounced mostly when the system idles or works under low load.
Audio circuit is decoupled from the power circuit in Intense PC so there should be no significant interference. Perhaps tuning the amplification of the different stages can further reduce the interference experienced. Using a digital audio port would eliminate it altogether.

JuTs

Post by JuTs »

irads wrote:Intense PC incorporates an advanced switching power circuit designed for reducing power consumption. A side effect of the switching is a faint humming
That's what I understood reading some posts on this forum. It's the same thing for the Fit-PC3, right ?
irads wrote:The humming is pronounced mostly when the system idles or works under low load.
I have the opposite, it almost unnoticeable when idle, and very important under charge, especially when writing/reading disk.
irads wrote: Audio circuit is decoupled from the power circuit in Intense PC so there should be no significant interference.
It should not. But it do in my case.
irads wrote: Perhaps tuning the amplification of the different stages can further reduce the interference experienced.
How can I do that ?

irads wrote:Using a digital audio port would eliminate it altogether.
Maybe, but I don't have speaker that are compatible.

Other things I noticed and didn't mentioned :

- When I set the level to 0 in Windows there another noise that come from the speakers. That's simple when I want to completely disable the sound, I unplug the speakers
- As the problem seems to happen when accessing to the disk, I removed the SSD and replace it by the "standard" disk that come from my laptop. With it the noise is significantly lower than with the SSD, . So, are marks or models of SSD that are known to have this kind of problem with the Intense PC ?
- this problem happens with Windows 7 and Windows 8

irads

Post by irads »

I removed the SSD and replace it by the "standard" disk that come from my laptop. With it the noise is significantly lower than with the SSD.
I suggest to check the SSD more closely. By your description, the SSD itself may be the major source of both audible and electrical noise.

If so, you would not be the first to observe that...
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1511458

If that's indeed the problem then another type of SSD may significantly reduce the noise level. But we do not maintain a list of SSDs and their noise characteristics.

JuTs

Post by JuTs »

Hi,
If so, you would not be the first to observe that...
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1511458
Yes the problem is similar (and I also have an OCZ).
But it seems that the noise come from the power supply : http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?s=a0d ... ostcount=9
And after a new test I have the same conclusion. I tried the SSD with my other computer. I copied files from/to the SSD and tried to hear something. For that I had to put my ear against the SSD. So the SSD is more noisy when used with the IntensePC (I can hear the noise if I'm at 2 or 3 meters apart)

Maybe it's not the IntensePC itself, but the IntensePC with this model of SSD. So which brand/model would you suggest to use ?

Julien

Hugoalo

Post by Hugoalo »

Is is similar to me. I ear two different kind of aerial noises, but not strange noise from analogic output (speakers).

An almost unnoticeable one when idle and a different and noisy when it is loaded: watching movies or downloading from internet (P2P, JDown, etc).
I sleep at 3-4 meters and it is annoying: I now when a file has been downloaded with the monitor switched off !!!

From my experience, SSD must not be the problem. You can try disabling it and booting from an usb linux/windows based distribution.

The best way to find what the problem is, should be discarding those parts that are not.

Please, tell us your experiences.

JuTs

Post by JuTs »

thank you Hugoalo, you were right :D With Linux : (almost) no noise.

So I tried something (again) : I changed the power options. I enabled the Power saver option (I don't know exactly the name, my Windows is in french). And instantly the noises disapear

Now I will try to find exactly which option is responsible of this noise.

Hugoalo

Post by Hugoalo »

For those with pitched noise problems, after 3 months I have found the solution in other forum:

1. Execute: "regedit"
2 .Locate: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Power \ PowerSettings \ 54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b¬740d00 \ 5d76a2ca-e8c0-402f-a133-215849¬2d58ad
3. Change Attributes from 1 to 0.
4. Then, through the control panel - power - in the settings mode select power management processor. There will be an option disabling idle processor and high pitched noise immediately disappears.

I was going crazy. Thinking on buying other computer... But now I can sleep with the Intense-Pc working at 1 meter from my bed.

I am really happy today.

Regards,

Hugo

JuTs

Post by JuTs »

Hi,

I can't find this new option, where is it ?

Hugoalo

Post by Hugoalo »

I use Windows 7.

This is the value you have to change.

Good luck.

Return to “Intense PC hardware”