Uptime and Stability

fluffycloud

Uptime and Stability

Post by fluffycloud »

Hi all,

Just curious if maybe any of the distributors have some 'uptime' data they can share? I'm hoping someone plugged an ubuntu in when they got it and havn't turned it off yet?

I intend to use one of these as a personal webserver. (hosting my own files to me when I'm away from home)

-Fluffy

swelch@complex.org

Re: Uptime and Stability

Post by swelch@complex.org »

Hi, Fluffy,

We've had two of these for a couple of months now I think, and one has been working as a web server under FreeBSD for the entire time, almost... Until a few days ago, when we had a UPS failure and discovered to our dismay that there is no auto-boot on power-fail feature, we've been up continuously--no mysterious crashes or reboots.

I took the other unit home andloaded Ubuntu 9.0.4 desktop on it about a month ago, and although I haven't done anything with it other than load a few packages on it, it seems to be working fine and asking for updates every once and a while. ...Oops, I don't have that unit on a UPS and just noticed that it is off--we had a power glitch last Friday, and I didn't know about the power-fail "bug". So, it ran for three and a half weeks, anyway.

...It's back up now, whining for updates--I'm using up all my bandwidth downloading FreeBSD 7.2 now, so it can wait. ;-) I'm going to wipe the Ubuntu and install FreeBSD on it to see if the Ethernet is working with 7.2, since that is more important to me at this point--my web server is running on a USB Ethernet adapter, and I'd like to get it off of that.

St

fluffycloud

Re: Uptime and Stability

Post by fluffycloud »

Thanks for taking the time to let me know. Yeah the always-on feature is kind of important there. I will be insisting on that feature when I order (after they're available to me)

Good luck with the ethernet drivers! I use FreeBSD a lot too and would rather use a built-in ethernet port than a USB one.

-Fluffy, in the USA, who can't order one yet, even though y'all bought them a month ago.

Return to “Linux on fit-PC2”