Random freezes until a keyboard button is pressed.

duckwars

Random freezes until a keyboard button is pressed.

Post by duckwars »

I have a problem where my FitPC2 (under ubuntu 9.10 desktop AND ubuntu 10.04 server) where it just freezes. It especially happens when I have my FitPC2 as a samba server and I'm doing a file transfer.

I run a program called iptraf on the server while doing a transfer over samba and when the transfer halts on the client, I look at the server monitor (the FitPC2) and everything is frozen and then THE MOMENT i hit a keyboard key or move the mouse it immediately resumes.

Someone I asked elsewhere said it may be a hard ware problem. Is it a hardware problem? Is it some other known issue? Thanks.

irads

Re: Random freezes until a keyboard button is pressed.

Post by irads »

This may be related to C-States.
Try disabling C-States in BIOS - Intel / CPU Control Sub-Menu to "GV3 only"

micronuta

Post by micronuta »

I am experiencing the same issue, but is also randon on waking up with a key press...

Did changing the GV3 only fix your problem or was it already set to GV3 like mine and stil have the problem?

pto

Post by pto »

Irads, do you have an overview of the BIOS settings and recommented settings? It would be nice to know how some of these settings can be improved or which combinations should be avoided.

irads

Post by irads »

There is a brief explanation in the owner's manual. More in-depth discussions take place in this forum. As usual with BIOS there are trade-offs for each setting.

pto

Post by pto »

I have just hacked my BIOS and found HUGE improvement with Ubuntu Linux.
Irads - any further BIOS information would be nice. I suggest to make an overview in http://www.fit-pc2.com/wiki/index.php?t ... tware#BIOS

irads

Post by irads »

Peter, you are welcome to post your findings here.
This may result in BIOS upgrade or Wiki documentation.

pto

Post by pto »

I blogged about my findings yesterday http://www.version2.dk/artikel/16711
With Ubuntu 9.10 (with the Compulab kernel) I often had load 5 - but after removing the C6 sleep from the BIOS I got significantly better response rates and much lower load - see http://www.version2.dk/modules/xphoto/c ... _0_0_0.png
I also found that I get less than one degree higher temperature - so I will keep that setting.

yogev_ezra

Post by yogev_ezra »

Hi Peter,
I have read your blog but if I understood correctly the Danish -> English translation, you did not really "hack" anything, just disabled C-states in BIOS? If this is the case, then Irad already advertised that more than half a year ago... Or did you do something more?

Return to “Linux on fit-PC2”