intermittent booting and USB3 problems! [Solved]

joshualibrarian

intermittent booting and USB3 problems! [Solved]

Post by joshualibrarian »

Hello,

I just got this fitpc3-pro, and installed ubuntu 12.04.1 on it, which went fairly smoothly. However, right from the beginning, it INTERMITTENTLY hangs on boot. Exactly when it hangs changes, sometimes before the grub menu, sometimes after the grub menu.

Sometimes it goes to the ubuntu booting background color on the monitor, then to black but lit, then off and back to black again and then just stays that way, clearly on, but hung, and at that point the num light key is functional, but caps lock is not.

Sometimes when it hangs, the screen turns off entirely, but the light which backlights the fitpc logo on the machine stays on, so it's still on. I then cold-boot it and try again, and SOMETIMES, it boots and sometimes it hangs in one of those two ways.

ALSO, SOMETIMES (even often), the USB3 ports only fail to mount any drives or communicate with any devices, though they do provide power, because everything lights up. Those same devices work when plugged into the USB2 ports, but with some very slow speeds and strange pausing while transferring files.

I tried updating to the latest bios, but the problems all persist. Any ideas?

Thank you!
Joshua

joshualibrarian

Re: intermittent booting and USB3 problems!

Well, this problem is persisting. I have noticed that if there are USB devices plugged in when I turn the machine on, it's less likely to boot correctly, particularly USB3 devices), though SOMETIMES it does boot with USB3 devices plugged in... such a strange problem.

Anyone, please? If no one has a solution, I'll have to RMA it. :(
--Joshua

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

Hello Joshua

Please boot a live version Ubuntu 12.04 and let it run for a 15 minutes. Don't attach anything to a FitPC3 but LAN, Monitor, keyboard and mouse. Please report if the system hangs
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

joshualibrarian

This issue was resolved by returning the computer (they say the problem was bad memory), which has come back in much better shape, though still with a few issues I'm addressing in other threads.

Return to “fit-PC3 faults and troubleshooting”