Video RAM / RAM Upgrades

Andy

Video RAM / RAM Upgrades

Post by Andy »

Hi There,

I have a few questions regarding the RAM in my excellent :D fit-PC3 Pro.

1) -- I would like to use a program called 'Primo Ramdisk' to utilise 'invisible memory' when I am running 32-bit versions of Windows 7 and XP. The relevant instructions for this program (see link below) suggest that it will be necessary to know how the 'invisible memory' is currently mapped:

http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/know ... rface.html

So, my first question is:

How much of the installed RAM is reserved for video memory and for anything else?

2) -- I currently have 4Gb (2 x 2Gb) installed as delivered with my fit-PC3. I would like to upgrade the RAM. Since purchasing my fit-PC3 last year, I have noticed that it is now possible to install up to 16Gb of RAM. Given that my current BIOS version is: SBC_2.1.0.333_12, Am I correct in thinking that an upgrade to the latest BIOS will allow me to install 16Gb?

3) -- Another option open to me is to upgrade to 8Gb or even just 6Gb because I already happen to have a;

Crucial CT51264BF1339 4GB, DDR3 PC3-10600, 204-pin SODIMM, Unbuffered NON-ECC, 1.35V

Unfortunately Crucial no longer sell this model, meaning that I can't easily use it to make a perfectly matched pair of RAM cards. So my final questions are:

Would you expect a performance loss if I replaced one of the two currently installed 2Gb RAM cards, with my 4Gb RAM card, to make a total of 6Gb?

Alternatively, might there be a performance loss if I matched the above mentioned 4Gb RAM card, with the following (very similar but faster) 4Gb card, which is currently available from Crucial?:

Crucial CT51264BF160B 4GB, DDR3 PC3-12800, 204-pin SODIMM, Unbuffered NON-ECC, 1.35V
http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/memory-ddr3/ct51264bf160b

Thank you very much for your help

Andy

mbirger

Re: Video RAM / RAM Upgrades

Post by mbirger »

1. Memory allocation:

Total physical memory: 8 GB
Total available graphic memory: 4020 MB
Dedicate video memory: 384 MB
System video memory: 0 MB
Shared memory: 3636 MB

Total physical memory: 4 GB
Total available graphic memory: 1972 MB
Shared memory: 1588 MB

Total physical memory: 2 GB
Total available graphic memory: 948 MB
Shared memory: 564 MB

2. In general you can mix different memories, but the frequency and latency timings of the system memory is the lowest supported frequency and
slowest supported latency timings of all memory SO-DIMM modules placed in the system, so for best performance it is better to use the same memories. However the configuration that you propose should also work. It is up to you to test such configuration.

Return to “fit-PC3 hardware”