Support for 3.5" disk

Dual Ethernet, 5.1 Audio, Standard HDMI... post here everything fit-PC2 does not have and you wish it had. We listen.
monnier

Support for 3.5" disk

Post by monnier »

What I wish for is support for connecting a 3.5" HDD.
Currently, I use an old ASUS WL-700ge at one place and a fit-pc2 with external USB enclosure at another, but the WL-700ge is terribly underpowered, and the external enclosure has severe limitations: the USB enclosures don't give full access to smart data, nor do they allow controlling things like power-management and spin-down. Furthermore, they are terribly power-hungry (it consumes more watts than my fit-pc2, even when the disk is not spinning!).

The esata port on the fit-pc3 is a step in the right direction, but I'd still like to see something like:
- a large fit-pc with a 3.5" internal slot (to make it useful to more people, it might be made to also serve as dual-2.5" slots).
- a fit-pc with a powered esata connector.
- some recommendation for a power-efficient external enclosure.
Last edited by monnier on Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gabrielh
Site Admin

Re: Support for 3.5" disk

Post by gabrielh »

Thank you for you feedback. You can use self powered enclosure to avoid power issues. FitPC3 designed to be slim, so the 3.5 hardiness will strongly affect the FitPC3 dimensions
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

monnier

Post by monnier »

gabrielh wrote:Thank you for you feedback. You can use self powered enclosure to avoid power issues. FitPC3 designed to be slim, so the 3.5 hardiness will strongly affect the FitPC3 dimensions
I did not mean to extend the fit-pc3 case specifically, since indeed the form-factor (and heat constraints) will require significant changes. I just hope to see a future "large fit-pc" or "fit-NAS" or "fat-pc" ... I'll let you choose the name.
Also the other two alternatives still seem perfectly compatible with the general fit-pc design: a powered-esata port, or a recommendation for a power-efficient external enclosure.

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

I liked the FatPC :)
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

Qlaras

Post by Qlaras »

Hrm, perhaps an eSATA/USB 3.0 HDD enclosure that the Fit-PC3/Intense can 'stack' on? (And/or a bracket that would mount them together?)

Cooling would be my only issue, as heat from the Fit-PC would likely work its way into the HDD enclosure.

jango1985

Post by jango1985 »

I have been looking for a dual low power server setup for a while so I like this idea aswell.

Return to “Wish list”