Linux Mint 9 is officially supported

Kyo_O

Re: Linux Mint 9 is officially supported

Post by Kyo_O »

Hello, i bought a fit-pc2i on september 2010 and i've been using Mint since i got it because i believed this was a good solution so it's a great news that it is officialy supported by compulab.

I managed to make it work almost properly with PSB drivers thanks to many tutorials, a bunch of forums posts and all the good work of guys like you, members of GMA500 team and Gwenole Beauchesne for vaapi support in mplayer.

I say "almost" because i still got some annoying problems. I was about to ask you some questions about it when i read this good news so i'll first try to migrate to EMGD before to see if i'll get rid of my problems. Anyway, i'm a bit surprised because i thought Intel drivers where only binaries and that IEGD/EMGD wheren't compatible with Xorg 1.7 (except for Meego) because of a lack in OpenGL (i read that somewhere but it must be wrong as i can see...).

Before i start migrate, could you please explain me what was modified exactly to the kernel image and EMGD X11 packages from the originals and for what purpose? Will it be possible to update them easily and what would be the steps to make it? What are the interactions between all the packages provided in the fit-pc2 repository?
Last thing: are there special things to take care of when switching from PSB to EMGD driver?

Thank you for the reply
Fit-PC2i 1GB RAM v.2.1
Thrust thinity Wireless Entertainment
NAS Synology DS 110j 1 TB
TV Phillips 42PFL7404H
Yamaha YSP-500 5.1

manoka

Post by manoka »

Another question, which I maybe should have asked in the first place:

Are this thread and these instructions also valid for the fit-PC2i (revision 1.1)?

I'm still having problems especially with the inconsistent often very slow and stalling and/or stopping(?) downloads through the browser.

timeofmind

Post by timeofmind »

manoka wrote:
jens wrote:Thanks for making this installation available to us! I have a bit of experience
to share:

1) In order to get resolution compatible with my monitor, I had to change my xorg.conf so the "Screen" section became:
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Card0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1920x1080"
EndSubSection
DefaultDepth 24
EndSection

2) compiz messes up my screen, so I removed it completely:
Ctrl+Alt+F1
login as user
sudo stop gdm
sudo apt-get remove compiz*

3) In a terminal I ran
gconftool-2 --set /apps/metacity/general/reduced_resources --type bool true
gconftool-2 --set /desktop/gnome/interface/enable_animations --type bool false

After these change I am very happy running mint on my fitpc2 rev. 1.21
Many thanks jens!

I wouldn't have been able to use the browser without your advice "2)".

I don't know how to program "1)" and "3)", nor whether I need to.
But for now it appears that everything is working just fine - finally!!! - except for the speed of my recently upgraded internet connection (Vodafone mobile), which now should be up to 4,0Mbps, but I usually still get less than 50Kbps (pretty much the same as before the upgrade).

Gratefully
manoka
Removing compiz fixed my screen. Thanks!

remlog

Post by remlog »

If I am using the fit-pc2i I should install the same kernel that is listed here, because i look for and i do not find the kernel for the fit-pc2i:

"sudo apt-get install linux-image-2.6.35-34-fitpc2 linux-headers-2.6.35-34-fitpc2 xserver-xorg-video-poulsbo mplayer-vaapi mplayer-skins"

bobo

Post by bobo »

I tested all the hints over ssh and i modify my xorg.conf
There is no possibilty to get the screen work on my fit-pc2

My Samsung UE40D8080 didint boot with 1920x1080@60 on HDMI
And if i put it on my 1600x1200 HDMI HP monitor (DVI as HDMI) there i have problems too
if i entlarge the windows you cant read the content ?
same for the system control windows; they are too big...no content..so i cant try to change the monitor settings over GUI.. ssh over LAN is the only way to access this box

How to keep on ???

I want LTS support cause i want to use my webserver in a safe mode
and with Ubuntu 10.04 it didnt work either
Ubuntu 11.xx same problems no screen with the patch

with Ubuntu 9.04 every thing works fine as LAN server but i was also not able to configure the wlan to use it with my TV Samsung (no LAN in the room)

So i am a little bit angry ..cause orderd today also a nice wireless keyboard Rii mini...

The investment was useless for TV
The PC is fine for LAN webserver funktion in a economic mode over dyndns...thats all
I think the pulsbo will never work fine with a LTS distro..because the binary kernel patches of the fit-pc (grafic is unstable) make the LTS support only usefull for the applications :-(

Why there is no git server so the community (me) can help by the kernel-driver development for fit pc-2?

Another problem is if i reboot the pc over dyndns ssh acces port rediretion on the router the wallet(password) keeps me out with WLAN. So i can only do this with LAN. But there are also alot of problems with the mint distro with my HP monitor (HDMI)..first step approach

There are so many hints in the web what to do to patch the chip set that the most things are waste of time... i have to work at daylight (embedded kernels) and i didnt want to waste more time in the evening with try and error hints ..sorry i only want a stabe linux with 1920x1080 screen and easy wlan and LTS support what should i do ?

regards Boris

P.S.: is fit-pc3 better wih Linux than i want to exchange it to save time?

SonOfDon

Post by SonOfDon »

Thank you so much for this thread. I had taken delivery recently of a fully solid-state fit-PC2 that was running Ubuntu 9.1. I worked through this thread to install Mint and was completely successful apparently. I am no Linux guru but am comfortable at the terminal using sudo.

All the best.

fitz

Post by fitz »

Hi,

Unfortunately WLAN is not working in my case (but it was working on windows 7 just before switching to Linux).
I have a first generation fitPC2 C1100-H-W.
Kernel version is fitpc2 2.6.35-34-fitpc2

The RT3090 device is even not listed by lspci, but I am sure hardware was working on win7

Do you have any hint on this?

Thank you!

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

Please attach the dmesg log and lspci output to the post (please attach the txt file)
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

fitz

Post by fitz »

Hi,

Thanks for your reply!
I have added the logs in the attached zip archive.

Please note that I have now plugged an additional usb/ethernet adapter (eth1), and have several vlans configured on my machine (they appear in the dmesg log). Those work perfectly.
But I never managed to see WLAN working out of the box, it just appears that the device is not visible to the OS.
Attachments
logs.zip
(12.13 KiB) Downloaded 641 times

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

Strange, are you sure you can see it in Windows 7?
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

Return to “Linux Mint”