VGA output

Discussions about fit-PC2 accessories
lazara5

VGA output

Post by lazara5 »

Is there any easy way to connect a VGA monitor to Fit-PC2?

wispa

Re: VGA output

Post by wispa »

You can buy an HDMI to VGA converter but they're not cheap, £120+ from what I've seen.

Another option could be USB to VGA, cheaper (around £40) but I've not used one myself so couldn't comment on performance or compatabiliy / drivers if you're using Linux.

DaveSemm

Post by DaveSemm »

The unit comes with a DVI connector; a DVI to VGA adaptor isn't too expnesive - you can get them for under $10.

But an LCD monitor with DVI inputs should give better results. I haven't been able to find a cheap LCD with a DVI input. I'm hoping to find one for around $80; I can get a VGA only monitor for that price.

Dave

ekips

Post by ekips »

a DVI to VGA adapter will not work.

HDMI is digital
DVI supports both digital and analog
VGA is analog

When comming from HDMI (a purly digital source) the analog pins of the DVI adapter will have no signal. Only a DAC would beable to generate such a signal.

lazytt

Post by lazytt »

DaveSemm

Post by DaveSemm »

Nope. ekips was right: the cheap adaptors just wire the analog output from a DVI-A or DVI-I adaptor. The Fit-PC2 has DVI-D, i.e. no analog output. There are adaptors that actually convert the digital signal to VGA, but these are very expensive.

The solution is to find a cheap VGA monitor that has DVI. I haven't found any so far. I would have thought that a digital input is cheaper to make than analog.

Cheers

rfdesq

Post by rfdesq »

If you need to feed a standard computer monitor is the consensus that a USB to VGA adapter is the way to go? If so that adds about $75 US to the price of the Fit.

DaveSemm

Post by DaveSemm »

Adding $75 to use VGA seems pointless. Hopefully DVI monitors will come back into fashion. I have a 5 year old 15 inch Philips 150P with DVI that was cheap at the time. Now only the bigger more expensive monitors have DVI.

There are chip companies making LCD panel driver chips with VGA, DVI & HDMI interfaces in one chip, so it should be cheap & easy for the monitor manufacturers to include DVI. VGA should eventually become obsolete. But for now it seems the only choice is a big expensive monitor or an HD TV.

jkish

Post by jkish »

ender

Post by ender »

According to description, only 720p and 1080p are supported, so it's possible that only those two resolutions will work. I've seen HDFury used to connect a PS3 to a 17" LCD monitor, the 720p picture was stretched vertically (however, PS3 is more limited in resolutions it can output).

Return to “fit-PC2 accessories”