will there be support for ubuntu 10.04?

irads

Re: will there be support for ubuntu 10.04?

Post by irads »

Graphics support will be available if/when Intel releases drivers with support for X 1.7

prj

Post by prj »

Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried loading the DRM modules in 10.04 and run X through the framebuffer driver? If so, do you get enough performance for it to be usable? The benefits over the VESA driver is that you can set proper modes and should get basic 2D acceleration.

ibir

Post by ibir »

Is missing graphics driver support the only issue with 10.04 on fit-PC2?

Denis

Post by Denis »

ibir wrote:Is missing graphics driver support the only issue with 10.04 on fit-PC2?
Yes
Compulab's Linux support

ibir

Post by ibir »

Just a silly question, why doesn't the prescriptions for installing 9.10, like "Install kernel image, kernel headers, graphic drivers and media player for HD playback", work for 10.4?

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Denis wrote:
ibir wrote:Is missing graphics driver support the only issue with 10.04 on fit-PC2?
Yes
So if one were interested only in the server version, there's no reason not to go to 10.04?

Don't need video, or audio or even a desktop. It would be *nice* to be able to support it through an X-server and something like XDM, but that's not essential. I've been accessing with SSH for a while now with the older versions, using Putty from Windows.

My use is Apache, MySQL, Samba, SMTP/IMAP, DHCP, DNS, etc. All service support for other machines on the LAN. Just need to get things working with a more stable version of Linux. 9.10 was working ok, but it will EOL soon, and I can't reinstall it anyway at the moment...Compulab's repository is giving errors when I try a fresh install.

Speaking of which, if I can't set up Compulab's repositories, does that just mean I lose video and audio capabilities? The desktop came up fine on 9.10 without that...and since I'm not going to use the FIT-PC2 for watching movies or other local media, do I even need the mods in the instructions? Can't I just run the pure Ubuntu release as it comes?

[Added 2010-07-08: I've installed the plain vanilla Ubuntu Server 10.04, and things are working fine so far. Haven't seen anything I need fail anyway. I suspect the WiFi isn't working, but haven't checked...and since I'm wired at the moment, that's ok. Looks like the Compulab repository changes are just for things like HD video, sound and maybe WiFi, which I can live without for a server installation. If I'm wrong, someone please speak up! ;-)]

-- Mike B.

cmcannady

Post by cmcannady »

Any update from CompuLab or Intel on graphics support? Thanks.

fly

Post by fly »

There are some bits of information floating around, that there someday maybe a suitable driver. from intel. Actually there are about 3 driversets that could support gma500: iegd, psb and ivi [1]. However, I don't count on it.

There are quite some people from ubuntu, mandriva an fedora at work to get at least the former driver up an running again. For Fedora, you should check AdamW's Blog, e.g. F13 information at [2]. Ubuntu users should check the forums at [3] and the wiki page [4].

The latter one states, that there is full 2d support available for ubuntu 10.4 and a beta release of the driver is known to have 3d and va support, too. There are quite some positive results, however, on my fitPC2 it is not usable and breaks on boot. Maybe others have more luck with it.

EDIT: My fitpc2 is now running ubuntu 10.04 using the psb driver. I haven't tested 3d support or video acceleration, but 2d acceleration and full screen resolution (1920x1200) are fine. More information in this thread.

[1] http://febuntoo.com/poulsbo-still-makes-me-sad.html
[2] http://www.happyassassin.net/2010/07/19 ... fedora-13/
[3] http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1229345
[4] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport ... dsPoulsbo/

Return to “Ubuntu 10.04”