Ethernet suddenly died

JacquesB

Ethernet suddenly died

Post by JacquesB »

Both Gigabit network adapters on my Fit-PC2i suddenly stopped working. They don't show up in the Windows Device Manager anymore, and the physical lights aren't working as well.

I have tried the following:
- Reinstalled WinXP
- Reinstalled Win7
- Updated the BIOS to the latest version
- Tweaked virtually every setting in the BIOS

None of these actions made my network adapters reappear.

Does anybody have a solution, or do I have to send the Fit-PC back to Israel?

irads

Re: Ethernet suddenly died

Post by irads »

Sometimes the Ethernet controller may enter an unknown state that is reset only by disconnecting the power. Try that.
Please email rma@fit-pc.com for additional checks and unit replacement if needed.

JacquesB

Post by JacquesB »

Thanks irads. I'll try that when I get back home (which won't be until next weekend).

JacquesB

Post by JacquesB »

Unplugging it did the trick. Hadn't thought of that. Thanks a lot irads!

LEGOManiac

Post by LEGOManiac »

Wow. That's disturbing. I just received my FitPC2i yesterday and within an hour had lost one of the ethernet ports. I had presumed that heat had damaged something and was about to contact technical support.

How can I trust this thing for a remote installation if it does this and won't reset itself with a reboot? At least if it reset it self with a reboot, a script could be written to reboot the computer if an interface became unresponsive, but to physically have to cycle the power? That's a confidence buster.

irads

Post by irads »

There is no known HW problem with the Ethernet controllers. The discussion from May last year relates to controller firmware and Windows driver - both are sorted since.

Return to “Ethernet”