Gigabit Ethernet Performance?

ed1949

Gigabit Ethernet Performance?

Post by ed1949 »

Hello!

I attached my fit-PC2 (z530) to a Gigabit switch and measured the network throughput via a TCP stream. The other machine is a C2D PC. My Kernel is a kernel.org 2.6.32 kernel with SpeedStep, limit to C2 and a on-demand governor. The data is is a sequence of /dev/zero bytes transfered with netcat. At the receiver data is going to /dev/null. The data rate is 15-20 MByte/s depending on the direction. This seems to be very slow as two PCs are able to transfer >50 MByte/s over this switch (from Harddisk to Harddisk via scp/ssh!).

Is this the expected performance of the fit-PC2 or do I experience a driver problem / hardware defekt?

nefeli

Re: Gigabit Ethernet Performance?

Post by nefeli »

Did you intalled the RTL8168B kernel module from Realtek (I suppouse yes, as you know how to compile a linux kernel, so it's better to ask first :) )

ed1949

Re: Gigabit Ethernet Performance?

Post by ed1949 »

No I currently use the driver from the kernel sources. My experience with vendor drivers is quite bad. The vendor drivers tend to lock you to old kernel versions as they are not actively maintained. Should I expect a significant performance improvement with the Realtek vendor driver?

Return to “Ethernet”