slitaz as a work in progress

vtailor

slitaz as a work in progress

Post by vtailor »

There is a very interesting URL associated with the slitaz Linux project:

<http://doc.slitaz.org/en:guides:poulsbo>

It claims to be a guide to making slitaz4 gma500 capable using the fbdev_drv.so trick. I have yet to get it to work, but you may find it interesting. Since slitaz4 is a year old, the newer rolling-slitaz with a 3.2.4 kernel also recommends itself. I was able to get it to start up using a usb stick, and it refused to install because it wanted the usb stick to be ntfs rather than vfat. I was able to determine that it comes with its own fbdev_drv.so, and it requires "vga=792" on the command line for fbdev to be used initially.

Again, this is work in progress. Maybe one of the people here can get onto the slitaz forum and use their influence. Slitaz has the potential to be extremely light in memory usage and as fast as you can hope to get.

vtailor

Re: slitaz as a work in progress

Post by vtailor »

The following was posted on the slitaz forum:

Slitaz rolling needs a 'vga=792' on the edited command line in order to run in graphics mode when starting on a DVD. Not all choices for startup actually work at all, so you need to try one or two until you get the graphics environment with the pcmanfm desktop.

I found two major problems with my installation attempts on a Compulab gma500 fit-pc2:

1. The poulsbo.ko.xz module crashes any psb_gfx installation. Solution is to uninstall poulsbo before getting the psb module for the vmlinuz-slitaz staging directory. After that, you can simplify matters in slitaz by uninstalling the vesa_drv.so graphics driver and leaving or re-installing fbdev_drv.so.

2. The soundconf program freezes on a gma platform. Solution is to copy 'alsaconf' into the /usr/sbin/soundconf directory and move alsaconf to soundconf. In other words, the slackware alsaconf script replaces soundconf, which freezes. After this, you can hear the sound chip click on when you start up slitaz, and things go forward relatively smoothly.

"Relatively smoothly": The wifi loses the wpa password between startups, so you need to give it the password each Time to get the wifi running. If you really want a thrill, get mesa from the tazpkg library, and then swrast works to provide dri for the fbdev driver. You can get the mesa examples and prove to yourself that glxgears and glxheads work.

Return to “Other Linux distributions”