Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric) on fit-pc2 [SUCCESS!]

cokelid

Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric) on fit-pc2 [SUCCESS!]

Post by cokelid »

I managed to get a fresh install of Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric) running on my fit-pc2. Thought others might find it useful.

The default Ubuntu 11.10 installation ISO does not contain the gma500 graphics drivers, so the fit-pc2 display does not work out of the box. However, some kind soul has created an ISO with the gma500 module, so this is the starting point.

You'll also need a USB flash drive or similar to boot from. I created mine using the Universal USB Installer from pendrivelinux.com, using a Windows 7 laptop. Instructions for this are below.

1) Download the ISO file containing the gma 500 module from here:
http://www.multiupload.com/S5XQD23I54
Save the file as ubuntu-11.10-gma500-fitpc2.iso (or similar, but it needs to start with "ubuntu-11.10" for step 3)
(I found this from this page, via this page)

2) Download the Universal USB Installer from here:
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal- ... -as-1-2-3/
(The download link is about 2/3rds of the way down the page)

3) Create your bootable USB Flash Drive
a) First format your USB drive. It failed for me the first time when I had an old version of Ubuntu already on my USB drive.
b) Run the Universal USB Installer (from Step 2). Select "Ubuntu 11.10" from the drop down list. Select the ISO you downloaded in step 1 (and this is why the filename has to start "ubuntu-11.10").
c) Select the USB drive letter, hit Create.

4) Install 11.10 on the Fit-PC2
a) Plug in the USB drive and boot the fit-pc2, it should boot to a basic Ubuntu start-up menu
b) Choose the Install option. (The Live CD option did not work for me.)
c) Follow the prompts and install Ubuntu 11.10.
d) Restart when prompted (remember to remove the USB drive before restarting)
Note: At this point I was stuck in a weird screen resolution (1366x768?) You'll have to live with this until the next step.

5) Update Ubuntu and Add Repository for GMA500 Module
a) Login for the first time. You'll probably still be stuck in the weird screen resolution for now.
b) Ubuntu should prompt you to update loads of packages (200-300) including the kernel. Set the updates going but don't restart yet! If you don't get prompted automatically click on the gear in the top right and select Software Updates (or something like that).
c) Before restarting add a repository for the gma500 driver (as detailed here). Open a terminal (e.g. using 11.10 Keyboard Shortcut: Ctrl + Alt + T) and copy and paste the following:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gma500/emgd-1.8
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xorg-emgd emgd-dkms
sudo emgd-xorg-conf
d) Once all the packages are updated, restart Ubuntu.

6) Log in using Unity 2D
When you start up this time, hopefully your screen resolution will no longer be stuck at 1366x768.
When you log in you must use Unity 2D, the standard (3D) Unity does not work.
a) At the login page, click the gear icon and select "Unity 2D" (see here for a typical screenshot)
b) Log in as normal, and you should all be done.

That's "all" I had to do to get 11.10 installed. It's not as painful as it looks, once you've got the right ISO.

Good Luck,
Justin

PS. It's mentioned above, but this is a great resource on the state of the GMA500 support in Ubuntu:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport ... rdsPoulsbo

Return to “Other Linux distributions”