Repeat system failures - how to debug?

irads

Re: Repeat system failures - how to debug?

Post by irads »

Theoretically the 6 USB ports pulling 0.5A at 5V each can draw 15W.
I have no evidence of a system failure in that scenario but this is a possibility. To check that - reproduce failure in the lab, connect devices through a powered hub and try again to reproduce.

TimeScience

Post by TimeScience »

Is there a recommended max power load to draw from all the USB ports? I just built a 4th fit-pc from scratch, other than a few additional drivers, there was nothing running on it at all, it was just sitting there, completely new, clean install of XP sp3 and the newest fitpc drivers and I just got the same "windows fatal error" message. The only extra thing plugged into was a mimo touchscren monitor that uses two usb ports - I think it pulls about an amp. I am no 0 for 4 on working fit-pc's, this is a pretty serious problem.

irads

Post by irads »

It is recommended not to exceed total 1.5A draw from all USB ports combined.

With your current setup I would look at two potential directions
- A problem with the USB display driver
- A problem with Windows installation. For example - try IEGD display driver or VESA driver rather than GMA500.

TimeScience

Post by TimeScience »

I'll look into both those issues. I don't suppose anyone knows a way to tell which device are pulling power and how much? I guess I could measure the power being pulled from a usb hub after I attach each device. anything easier than that.

I should take back my previous statement that 0/4 machines was working. I had put the new clean install drive into the previous machine that was having problems by accident. It is now in a new fiitpc and hasn't been having problems. I do still have 3 machines with mysterious restart/shutdown issues.

Should I RMA the other machine that is having problems? Any tests I can do to see if is an actually hardware problem?

Thanks

irads

Post by irads »

It is unlikely that 3/4 units exhibit similar hardware problems. I don't think RMA will help.

Return to “Windows XP”