Fit for telescope/camera control: no keyboard or monitor?

Is fit-PC2 good for my intended application?
Mystic Hill

Fit for telescope/camera control: no keyboard or monitor?

Post by Mystic Hill »

I am considering using the Fit-PC2 for remotely controlling a telescope and two cameras using Windows software and lots of USB connected devices. I would like to access the Fit-PC with remote software like UltraVNC over a WiFi connection (and them potentially an Internet connection). I have some concern from this statement in the manual:

Working without a connected display automatically disables the graphics controller – saving up to 20% power.

For remote operation I don't see any reason to have a keyboard or monitor connected to the Fit-PC. Can I still view screens with a UltraVNC connection?

A Fit-PC solution would seem desirable for it low power consumption and small form factor.

Any other issues?

Roy

irads

Re: Fit for telescope/camera control: no keyboard or monito

Post by irads »

If you are going to use WinXP then there are no issues.
For Windows 7 there may be display driver issues that will impair the use of UltraVNC in headless configuration.

Mystic Hill

Post by Mystic Hill »

Thanks Irad,

OK, I will investigate the WinXP route.

I was expecting to have to make a register edit or maybe they make HDMI jumpers to fool the PC into thinking it had a monitor. Surely this kind of situation has come up before. What do people do that have to monitor racks of servers and want out of the server room on occasion?

Roy

Mystic Hill

Post by Mystic Hill »

Irad,

I exchanged emails with your USA office. They suggest that driver support may be better for the Radeon graphics chips on the Fit-PC3.

Can you confirm whether one can operate the Fit-PC3 in a headless configuration on Win7?

Thanks.

Roy

irads

Post by irads »

We haven't tested. If you are using UltraVNC check what users say about headless configuration with Radeon HD 62xx / 63xx or with AMD E450.

Return to “Using fit-PC2”