Xp hangs on installation SOLVED

bfahnoe

Xp hangs on installation SOLVED

Post by bfahnoe »

I have a fit-PC2 Linux. I have put in another hard disk and I am trying to install Xp.
I have an external USB DVD-drive.
It boots reads all the drivers and then hangs on a black screen with a cursor blinking in the top left corner. This happens with 3 different Xp's, 2 with servicepack 3 and one with servicepack 2.
Do anyone have a solution?
Bjørn
Last edited by bfahnoe on Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

teetee1

Re: Xp hangs on installation

Post by teetee1 »

bfahnoe

Post by bfahnoe »

I have updated the BIOS, but it will have to wait to tomorrow to install Xp
many thanks
Bjørn

bfahnoe

Post by bfahnoe »

I have now tried to install Xp after the BIOS update. It still hangs with black screen after loading the drivers.
You often have to supply a driver diskette for installation with SATA drives, but such a utility does not exist. :(
What can I try now? Can Xp be installed from USB-stick?
Bjørn

irads

Post by irads »

Standard WinXP installation CD is known to install as-is on fit-PC2.

asahi

Post by asahi »

bfahnoe wrote:I have now tried to install Xp after the BIOS update. It still hangs with black screen after loading the drivers.
You often have to supply a driver diskette for installation with SATA drives, but such a utility does not exist. :(
What can I try now? Can Xp be installed from USB-stick?
Bjørn
I am having exactly the same issue. Pls do post a solution if you find any.

Thanks

bfahnoe

Post by bfahnoe »

I have used a Switch Box as I have several computers and don't want several screen etc.
I tried to connect mouse and keyboard directly to the fit-PC, and now the installation starts.
So far so good, but when it is installing drivers it hangs with a screen showing many colors with text showing in odd places.
I now only have one thing that could be wrong, mouse and keyboard are connected via a PS2 to USB converter.
I shall try again when i have a usb keyboard
This is really very trying and time consuming
Bjørn

bfahnoe

Post by bfahnoe »

I found out with the help of attacced tip, that it was the keyboard that caused the problem. I unplugged the keyboard, when the installation started installing devices. The installation went through and I could plug in the keyboard again when it was needed and it worked.

TIP I used:
You want to install XP professional and suddenly you realize that it freezes up at the mention of 34 minutes remaining! You try all your efforts to make it running but nothing seems to be working to your dismay. You try checking your RAM, checking for any bad sectors in your hard drive, even your motherboard (as I have done) but cannot make a conclusion as to what’s the answer to your woes. So what is the solution to the defamed 34 minute XP installation hangup problem? Its as simple as deleting a simple file which caused the installation to freeze. Let the XP hang up at 34 minutes remaining for the first time remove the CD from the CDROM and reboot Dont enter the CD when the installation asks for it, instead open the DOS prompt (Shift + F10) goto C:/Windows and type setupapi.log, hit enter The setupapi.log file opens in a notepad Scroll to the very last few lines in the file and search for the word “inf” You will notice that in the last few moments the installation created a file with the extension “.inf” before dying out (in my case it was the faulty modem for which XP created the file mdmcxpt.inf). It means that the device mentioned in the last few lines is faulty and you have to make the installation skip through it. Close the notepad and go to the folder C:/windows/inf in command prompt Browse through the files to find the “.inf” which was related to the faulty device. Straightaway delete the inf file (eg: del mdmcxpt.inf) now put in the XP installation CD and Continue the installation It will not put in the drivers related to the faulty device and so it wont freeze this time !!

When I used this the mouse and keyboard stopped working but the installation proceeded until I had to use the keyboard. I then did what i described in the beginning
Bjørn

Return to “XP installation”