XP Install hangs on Setup is starting Windows

tbrand68

XP Install hangs on Setup is starting Windows

Post by tbrand68 »

Hey all, I'm trying to install XP Pro on my brand new FIT2. I'm in the text portion of the setup and it hangs at the Setup is starting Windows. I've let it sit there for a little over an hour. That didn't work, so I went in BIOS and reset to default, tried again...hung at the same point..

Any ideas?

irads

Re: XP Install hangs on Setup is starting Windows

Post by irads »

Standard XP SP3 CDs usually install with no issue.
Some things you may try
- on setup reboot enter BIOS and change boot order to hard disk first
- on Windows start press F8 and select safe mode

tbrand68

Post by tbrand68 »

I was using a tweaked xp install (nlite version) I took my pressed cd and it installed just fine.
Sorry I didn't get back here in time to post I had figured it out.

Thanks for the help anyway!
Tim

gomer

Post by gomer »

I'm having this problem with a OEM(Dell) xp home install dvd. My Sharp Aquos display reports an incompatible signal at the time that the windows install goes from text mode to gui.

this same display works great with fit-pc to Ubuntu 9.10.

The xp install disk is before any service packs ... i'm pretty sure.

Problem occurs prior to reboot, no opportunity to boot from hdd or enter safe mode.

any ideas?

andrewgho

Post by andrewgho »

I ran into this same problem, with a Fit-PC2 hooked up via HDMI to a Sharp AQUOS TV; when running Windows XP SP2 installation from a USB CD-ROM, the process would abruptly stop, with an indefinite blank screen, on the step right after "Setup is starting Windows" is displayed on bottom of the screen. This was repeatable multiple times.

Eventually, I hooked up the Fit-PC2 to a Dell LCD monitor via the HDMI to DVI adapter that came with the Fit-PC2, and this solved then problem. So, I suggest trying the workaround of using a DVI or VGA connection instead of direct HDMI while installing Windows XP.

benjgil

Post by benjgil »

Hi there,

When you connected to the other monitor did you also use a different USB keyboard/mouse?

There have been some isolated incidents (4 so far that i've seen, from about 1000 customers) where the USB keyboard interferes with an XP install, most likely due to the nature of the drivers that the specific keyboard tries to load up the the PC when XP is loading/installing.

For anyone having a persistent issue with loading XP on their Fit PC2, i would suggest trying it with different peripherals attached during load up and see if that makes a difference.

As the digital video signals for HDMI and DVI are essentially the same, i cant see any reason why there would be a difference when connecting via an HDMI cable or using the HDMI-DVI adaptor.

Benjamin
Fit PC UK

Return to “XP installation”