XP won't boot up without thumb drive plugged in

morganj2003

XP won't boot up without thumb drive plugged in

Post by morganj2003 »

Following the directions for installing XP on a computer with a USB at

http://www.hightech-edge.com/install-wi ... mment-8752

worked...mostly. I have XP installed on my computer, but the thumb drive must remain in the computer for it to boot up. After changing BIOS settings to require the computer to boot from the internal hard drive, the computer gives an error that it can't boot from that drive. I have to keep the thumb drive in the computer, and BIOS boot settings must include the thumb drive for XP to boot up. After XP is running, the thumb drive can be removed. What's going on?

Thanks!

Jon

Re: XP won't boot up without thumb drive plugged in

Post by 9812713 »

After XP is installed, you shouldn't need the USB stick to boot, as XP loads the boot loader to the MBR of the primary drive.

W.

morganj2003

Post by morganj2003 »

Agreed. Although, that's not how it's working out currently, and I'm trying to figure out why. XP does not boot up without the thumb drive in the pc.

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

I had a similar issue with installing Ubuntu Linux on my Fit-PC2. The thread is at: http://fit-pc2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1514

The upshot was that it was a BIOS issue in the version of the BIOS my device came with (July 2009 date) that was triggered by the BIOS setting for "Boot-time Diagnostic Screen" being enabled. Disabling this fixed the problem initially, and updating the BIOS to a later version (August 2009) fixed it permanently (that setting was removed from the BIOS).

If you are running a BIOS with a date prior to Aug 2009 on a Fit-PC2, you might try disabling the Boot-time Diagnostic Screen and see if that fixes the problem. If it does, a BIOS upgrade might be a good idea.

If that's not it, I'm out of ideas. ;-)

RedPath88

Post by RedPath88 »

Are there any boot files present on your hard drive, or are they only located on the thumb drive?

It sounds to me that you missed a step in the installation from USB process. The one right after editing the partition table of the hard drive (assuming you did that during setup), where you reboot to allow the drive letters to be properly assigned (This is where the Hard Drive would become C: )

Skipping that step, with a hard drive that did not already have partitioned space would result in the flash drive being assigned the C: drive, so the boot files would, by default, be installed there.

BTW Hello Everyone, been lurking for a while, but this is my first post. I ordered and recently received a Diskless Auto On system. Have XP Pro installed (also done via USB stick) along with several other programs. Just about have it were I want it (if that ever-changing and expanding goal is ever truly attainable :lol: )

Post by 9812713 »

Welcome Redpath88 ... I hope your experience with the Fit-PC2 is enjoyable.

W.

RedPath88

Post by RedPath88 »

Thanks!

So far so good, just trying to iron out the details (such as video playback ie: youtube HD, etc) before it is placed in it's permanent environment)

Would like to see the codec's included with the HD XP version available (even if on a "pay for" basis), but I understand why they are not.

So far though I am liking it and am sure I will work it all out. :)

Scott

Return to “XP installation”