[Solved] X crashes/shuts down when turning off the display

Display driver and X11
Kaktus621

[Solved] X crashes/shuts down when turning off the display

Post by Kaktus621 »

Hi!

I have a fit-PC2 running Ubuntu 9.04 Server with afterwards installed XServer and Openbox Window Manager. So far everything runs more or less fine. The display drivers are installed as the fit-PC2-Wiki article describes it. There is only one big problem right now:

When I turn off the display (a Samsung TV) or unplug the cable, the Window Manager as well as the whole XServer shuts down. In the logs, I find the line:

Code: Select all

First SDVO output reported failure to sync
The full Xorg.0.log is available here.

Why is that? XServer should also work without a running display, shouldn't it? At least on another PC I can turn off the display without a problem.

In addition, if I only had to restart the XServer, it would be already fine (a "startx" command does not take much time), _but_ if I restart it (using this command), I get no output on the screen anymore (TV says "No signal") - Only a complete restart of the fitPC brings me back an output - and I don't want to restart the fitPC all the time, because the PC is running as a web- and ftp-server.

Are there any solutions to the problem (or at least a part of it)?
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Kaktus621 on Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Denis

Re: X crashes/shuts down when turning off the display

Post by Denis »

Current linux GMA500 graphic drivers are not so stable as for windows, for example if you boot without display connected - X will crash, because driver needs to negotiate with display during boot. In this case you can connect to fit-PC2 with ssh and restart window manager (/etc/init.d/gdm restart in my case).

After system booted successfully with working display and all graphic drivers were loaded - I unplug and plug back HDMI cable without any problems. X is working ok, resolution is same(MAG innovision monitor).

If you are not so interested in advanced graphics - stay with standard vesa drivers.
Compulab's Linux support

Kaktus621

Post by Kaktus621 »

Well I am pretty sure that no resolution other than 640x480 works with the vesa drivers. As far as I remember, that is why I installed the GMA500/Poulsbo drivers.

The fact that you can plug/unplug the cable without a problem during operation makes me hoping that the problem can be solved, yet we only don't know how.

Kaktus621

Post by Kaktus621 »

Well, I tried to switch back to VESA and the result is, that it does not crash anymore, but this doesn't make it much better than psb, because of one aspect.

I think a picture says everything, look at the output that I get:

Any ideas how to fix this weird output? Screen says it is 640 by 480... I wonder if I could get it to 1280 by 720 with vesa drivers, last time it did not work...

EDIT:
With some more xorg.conf editing I now have a more or less normal output, BUT limited to 640x480. I do not really see a chance of getting it to 1280x720 :-/

Kaktus621

Post by Kaktus621 »

I think I have the solution! Using the psb driver, simply set "NoAccel" to "true" in the xorg.conf Device Section. Full resolution is selectable again and no crashes when turing off the display :-)

Return to “Display driver”