Is there a good linux driver for the GMA500?

Display driver and X11
eli

Is there a good linux driver for the GMA500?

Post by eli »

I'm seriously thinking of buying a fit-pc with Linux, just wanted to know whether there's a fully working linux driver for the graphics (including 3D hardware acceleration), and will it work in all versions of Linux? (I'm totally new to Linux, so please try and answer as close to yes or no as possible)
Thanks

irads

Re: Is there a good linux driver for the GMA500?

Post by irads »

2D is OK, 3D is far from perfect, video is accelerated. I suggest you read this subforum and about GMA500 display drivers on the web to get an idea whether it is suitable for your needs.

cbgoodbuddy

Post by cbgoodbuddy »

Could I ask that compulab staff update the wiki page with a little bit more information about the video drivers? All the jargon out there about video drivers is a little hard to understand.

Right now, the wiki page says, "The drivers are currently available in binary form for Ubuntu 8.04 and for Ubuntu 9.10." It would be nice to say which version of the drivers (Poulsbo?). Also to update the statement for newer versions of supported Linux, and how the drivers are available (I guess from fit-pc2.com repository).

Thanks

cbgoodbuddy

Post by cbgoodbuddy »

The following Ubuntu wiki page has a great description of the various drivers, and Ubuntu supoort for the Poulsbo/GMA500/US15W graphics chipset in the fit-pc2.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport ... dsPoulsbo/

Return to “Display driver”