The new gma500 driver

Display driver and X11
Dominik

Re: The new gma500 driver

Post by Dominik »

I'm only using fbdev in xorg! I tried out proprietary drivers a couple of time ago (e.g. emgd), but all of them weren't stable enough and scrolling in x-terminals was horrible slow!

But with uvesafb and the new psb_gfx (which I had to blacklist if I want to use uvesafb anymore), I cannot see any difference in x11-handling (scrolling, moving windows, etc). And framerate at glxgears are exactly the same (116-120 fps).

Indeed, I had to use grub/915resolution to set my lcd hw-resolution for uvesafb.

prj

Post by prj »

Dominik wrote:I'm only using fbdev in xorg! I tried out proprietary drivers a couple of time ago (e.g. emgd), but all of them weren't stable enough and scrolling in x-terminals was horrible slow!

But with uvesafb and the new psb_gfx (which I had to blacklist if I want to use uvesafb anymore), I cannot see any difference in x11-handling (scrolling, moving windows, etc). And framerate at glxgears are exactly the same (116-120 fps).

Indeed, I had to use grub/915resolution to set my lcd hw-resolution for uvesafb.
You're right, uvesafb has linear memory (as of VBE 2.0) so the performance should be equal to that of psb_gfx.

prj

Post by prj »

Here is a status update of what's going on in drm-next:

- Console framebuffer defaults to 16bpp which resulted in the resolution limit to be lifted.
- The modesetting driver has matured so running 1920x1080 at 32bpp works fine
- Hardware cursor support is on it's way (I have it working on my end) but I need to fix it up a bit before it goes into drm-next. Until then you can specify:

Code: Select all

Option "swcursor" "1"
in the device section of your xorg.conf to get a visible cursor.

Thanks
Patrik

Return to “Display driver”