flicker on high resolution

Display driver and X11
lucian

flicker on high resolution

Post by lucian »

hi,

have mandriva 2010 with poulsbro support running. however, having resolution of 1600x1200 leads to desynchronysation between monitor and pc, looks like flicker.

with smaller resolution its fine. anyone seen like this ?

Denis

Re: flicker on high resolution

Post by Denis »

Yes, it`s a known issue. The problem is in current graphic drivers for Poulsbo chipset. I think it will be fixed in our next Ubuntu 9.10 release with another graphic drivers.
Compulab's Linux support

ypnos

Post by ypnos »

Is there any other solution for this?!

Ubuntu 9.10 (fitpc repository) works really bad on my fit-pc2. Scrolling etc. is bad. Graphical artifacts like black regions occur regularly. Accelerated video playback is bad and crashes after ~ 30 seconds of playing, so that the machine has to be rebooted to get vaapi support back.

With Mandriva and self-compiled mplayer everything works EXCEPT this bug. Any setting to the driver or sth!?

Denis

Post by Denis »

Mandriva and Ubuntu use different graphic drivers.
Scrolling etc. is bad. Graphical artifacts like black regions occur regularly
Use Chromium browser instead of Firefox:
# sudo add-apt-repository ppa:chromium-daily
# sudo apt-get update
# sudo apt-get install chromium-browser
Accelerated video playback is bad and crashes after ~ 30 seconds of playing
It was tested with high res videos, 24 hours in repeat mode , playback was fine. May be you have some multimedia application conflicts with mplayer? Can you see in logs about what mplayer complains? Run it from command line.
Compulab's Linux support

ypnos

Post by ypnos »

Thank you for trying to help!

mplayer segfaults in audio module. If I use -ao null, it segfaults in video module. In either situations it will fallback to software video from that one until reboot.

It's not the only problem... Some videos are not played on full framerate in difficult scenes. 720p videos are played with a green line at the border. Dark regions show strange artifacts...

Some of these were reported by other users (like the green line). Was there some progress made in the last weeks?

lucian

Post by lucian »

using ENTRANCE E17 windows manager together with KDE allows me now 1920x1080 without flicker and is very fast, but without compiz. dragonplayer runs realy nice too.

but now it seems that when i switch the monitor back on after several hours, the display doesnt comes back, all powersave *should* be switched off. !?!?

not so happy with mandriva, but at least they have the poulsbo drivers

Mnemonic

Post by Mnemonic »

Denis wrote:Yes, it`s a known issue. The problem is in current graphic drivers for Poulsbo chipset. I think it will be fixed in our next Ubuntu 9.10 release with another graphic drivers.
Is this bug fixed, or when can we expect a fix?

ypnos

Post by ypnos »

Mnemonic: Yes with IEGD driver this bug seems not to exist. However that driver is not available for Mandriva right now.

Aleksey

Post by Aleksey »

Just installed Ubuntu 9.10 on fit-pc2 and encountered the same problem - entire screen flickers on 1920x1080, while everything works fine on 1280x1024. But I'm happy it's just a driver problem (I was afraid it's a chip failure). Just wanted to ask, if driver gets fixed, will it be updated automatically from fit-pc repo ?

lucian

Post by lucian »

i use e17 now with mandriva, no flicker anymore at 1920x1080 and really fast, with bling even transparent.

Return to “Display driver”