USB Problems

USB ports capabilities
per

USB Problems

Post by per »

In addition to the power issue with the USB ports I also have the following problems:

When the computer is running and I plug in an external HD the fit-PC2 recognizes it only sometimes. The same goes for other USB devices. When not regognized I have to power the computer down, plug in the USB device, and then start up again. Not an ideal situation.

Last week I bought a A4Tech cordless keyboard/mouse with a 2.4GK USB dongle. It installed nicely and they both work really well - but only for about 3 minutes. Then both the keyboard and the mouse stop to function. If the computer screen has gone into power save and I switch on and move the mouse after some time they again work - but only for about 3 minutes.

I have now connected the keyboard and mouse to my HP laptop and they have been working non stop for over an hour, so I can only assume this is a fit-PC2 USB problem.

There are no acceptable workarounds that I can think of for both these problems so a solution would be most appreciated.

irads

Re: USB Problems

Post by irads »

Try disabling C-States in BIOS. Set to GV3 only.

per

Post by per »

It is already set to GV3 Only. In fact as far as I am aware everything is at default except LCD clock which had to be changed with the latest bios.

These are my settings:

Hyperthreading = Enabled
Processor full speed = GV3 Only
No Execute Mode mem protection = Enabled
Intel virtualization = Disabled

Audio = Auto
SDIO = Enabled
Gigabit LAN = Enabled
LAN PXE BOOT = Disabled

Graphic mem size = 256MB

CPU speed = 1600 MHz
FSB frequency = 100%
LCD clock = Enabled
Spread spectrum = Off
Watchdog timer = Off

Compulab, please publish a description of all bios settings.

irads

Post by irads »

Hard disk issue is most likely due to insufficient power through USB. Try connecting with a double USB cable.

The wireless keyboard - maybe the problem is RF interference, see if disabling WiFi and connecting the dongle away from the DVI connector, or better yet through USB extension cable improves the behavior.

BIOS options are explained within BIOS setup utility and summarized in owner's manual.

per

Post by per »

The keyboard works with the dongle a bit further away.

The HD is still a problem. When I connect directly on the fit-PC2 it works most of the time now, but with a USB hub (unpowered) it never seems to work. I have tried 3 different 4 port hubs. The hubs and HD combinations work fine on my two netbooks ( and HP Pavilion dm1, and an Acer).

Will this be fixed in a future bios or do I just have to accept it as it is?

All the best,
Per

irads

Post by irads »

Other computers usually provide more current through USB than the 0.5A specified by the standard. Most hard-disks require up to 1A.

There is no plan to change design of fit-PC2 to provide more power through USB.

per

Post by per »

I was being stubborn and wanted it to work without a powered hub.

Got a powered hub yesterday and it works fine now, I can even have two 500GB portable drives connected at the same time.

The amps might be a good idea to document with the fit-PC2 more clearly as it is very common to have large USB powered 2.5 inch drives. Perhaps even state in the manual that those type of drived typically draw more than the specified 0.5A. Just a thought.

Cheers,
Per

shestero

USB overload

Post by shestero »

irads wrote:Other computers usually provide more current through USB than the 0.5A specified by the standard. Most hard-disks require up to 1A....
If the current eventually will up to 1A, wouldn't it damage the port in fit-PC2 ?? :o

irads

Post by irads »

USB in fit-PC2 has a current limiter, this should prevent damage to fit-PC2.

shestero

Post by shestero »

thank you!

Return to “USB”