Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN

WLAN adapter and miniPCI-express slot
ftoth

Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN

Post by ftoth »

Hello,

Has anyone tried to install the above wlan a/b/g/n dual band card? Or is there any chance that the fit-pc will come with this or such a card soon? I think this will be needed if you have HD video streams.

I am not sure but believe you need 3 antennas?

Anyway see http://www.intel.com/network/connectivi ... hdocs.htm
Thanks,

Ferry

fly

Re: Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN

Post by fly »

Mhh, I did answer this one a couple of hours ago... anyway:
Has anyone tried to install the above wlan a/b/g/n dual band card?
I haven't tried this one and I actually don't know if fullsized miniPCIe cards are supported -- most rt3090 chips (the one used in fitpc2) are half-sized, but I don't know the type used in fitPC2 [update: if you look at [1] the card used in fitpc2 seems to be half-size, but there is enough space for fullsized ones]. Aside from that, you might have to add additional RP-SMA connectors, which is quite difficult giving there is no space left on the back. However, basic operation should work.
Or is there any chance that the fit-pc will come with this or such a card soon?
With this specific card? Dimensions, power, heat, costs don't look that good -- despite marketing claims (starting with centrino), intel wifi wasn't ever up to par with their ethernet chips. If there will be a dualband 11n chip? I don't know, you might want to add this to the wishlist board.
I am not sure but believe you need 3 antennas?
The cards can operate with no antenna at all, but using one is recommended. Most 11g cards have to connectors, even if the auxiliary antenna connector is not used that often. However, for dualband, I think two antennas are a requirement for good operation.

[1] http://www.scratch-productions.de/wp-co ... G_4932.jpg

Return to “WLAN and miniPCI-e”