Fit PC2i will NOT boot without monitor [SOLVED]

Post freely any questions you have about fit-PC2
Charliebishop

Fit PC2i will NOT boot without monitor [SOLVED]

Post by Charliebishop »

Hi all, love my fit-pc2i, but cannot get it to boot without a monitor plugged into the DVI slot .. In fact, if I am running the machine, and unplug the DVI cable, the fit-pc2i turns off!

is there anything I can change so that the system can run in a headless mode? I tried downloading the IEMGD "headless" drivers (http://www.fit-pc2.com/download/xp-driv ... 120628.zip) ... removed the GMA500 drivers and installed the new driver, but no difference is seen.. the machine will not physically turn on when I press the power button, unless there is a monitor plugged into the DVI port!

is there something in the BIOS that can change this? Is there an older more stable version of the headless driver that may work?

cheers,
Last edited by Charliebishop on Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

irads

Re: Fit PC2i will NOT boot without monitor

Post by irads »

Power LED should light when fit-PC2i is turned on whether a display is connected or not. If this is not the case it is likely a hardware problem.

If the problem is driver related, check the new fit-Headless plug http://www.fit-pc.com/web/products/acce ... -headless/

Charliebishop

Post by Charliebishop »

irads wrote:Power LED should light when fit-PC2i is turned on whether a display is connected or not. If this is not the case it is likely a hardware problem.

If the problem is driver related, check the new fit-Headless plug http://www.fit-pc.com/web/products/acce ... -headless/
Hi Irads, thanks for the prompt reply. I have done some more error checking myself and discovered a potential issue.

I have been connecting my fit pc2i using pigtails I purchased with the unit to a 12v supply (approx 12.6v from my solar power charge controller dc output)

Using the pigtails the machine will not turn on without a monitor connected. If I setup a monitor running on a inverter and plug it into the fit pc, it does turn on (is it possible it's pulling power thru this dvi connector? This is limited sparking if you touch the dvi cable around the casing of the fit pc)

If I plug the fit pc into the inverter, it powers up with no monitor. However, I bought this device to act as a control Hub or my solar power because of the option of the direct 12v connection (running an inverter wastes to much of power)

Could you do some testing to determine if your fit pc2i will indeed bootup headless while using pigtails?

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

fit-PC2i supports headless boot, i.e it is possible to boot without monitor connected. It is possible to connect via Windows remote desktop.

Charliebishop

Post by Charliebishop »

Yes mbirger, it does.

My unit indeed does boot headless just fine when using the AC adapter, HOWEVER, it will not boot up headless when using the pigtails to connect to a 12v battery system (it will only boot when a monitor is plugged in when using pigtails).

Can one of the Fit-PC engineers determine if this is true for other Fit-PC2i ? Im wondering if my pigtails are to blame? though I know they power the unit just fine when a monitor is attached.

is it a hardware failure? (as in, can not be reproduced).

or perhaps it is reproducable, in this case, will the new Fit-PC2i headless adapter solve the issue and allow me to boot headless when connected to a 12v supply?

I would really appreciate an answer on this from the engineering department.

My Fit-PC has already been RMA'd once due to a faulty component, I'd rather not have to send it back again as it runs my security system at my cabin.

cheers,

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

Dear Charliebishop,
I am a HW Engineer. Please explain the term "pigtails" - it is not an engineering terminology and thus not clear. It is better if you could send a capture of the system and its power source.

Anyway, I guess it is some kind of cable/harness used to connect your DC power source to the fit-PC2i.
System headless boot and/or operation does not related to the type of power source, as long as it meets the voltage/current ratings required for your system.

System stability has direct correlation with the used power source. Many factors related to power supply may impact system operation, behavior and overall stability:

1. Unstable power source.
2. Non certified / not-rated cables.
3. Too long cables might create unwanted voltage drop.
4. Not suitable cable gauge (AWG) for the current consumed.
5. Lack of good system ground (return path).
6. Poor contact between the DC plug and the jack.

Or the combination of the above, so my first guess is the "pigtails".
Please send a picture of your power source and your cable.

Thanks,
Maxim

Charliebishop

Post by Charliebishop »

mbirger wrote:Dear Charliebishop,
I am a HW Engineer. Please explain the term "pigtails" - it is not an engineering terminology and thus not clear. It is better if you could send a capture of the system and its power source.

Anyway, I guess it is some kind of cable/harness used to connect your DC power source to the fit-PC2i.
System headless boot and/or operation does not related to the type of power source, as long as it meets the voltage/current ratings required for your system.

System stability has direct correlation with the used power source. Many factors related to power supply may impact system operation, behavior and overall stability:

1. Unstable power source.
2. Non certified / not-rated cables.
3. Too long cables might create unwanted voltage drop.
4. Not suitable cable gauge (AWG) for the current consumed.
5. Lack of good system ground (return path).
6. Poor contact between the DC plug and the jack.

Or the combination of the above, so my first guess is the "pigtails".
Please send a picture of your power source and your cable.

Thanks,
Maxim
hi mbirger,

I appreciate your response on this issue.. Hopefully I'll give enough information here to get it sorted.

the "pig tails" I was referring to were bought with the unit, from your re-seller in the US... I guess its just called a DC cable in your accessory unit?

MY power source is a 12v circuit on the charge controller of my solar panel.. it currently runs lights and other small DC loads without a problem. You can see my charge controller here: http://www.morningstarcorp.com/en/suppo ... 204-13.pdf (Page 22 talks about the DC load, its voltage is approximately 12.6v)

I've measured with my multimeter and its indeed getting 12.6v and pulling about 0.5 amps, corresponding to the 6-7watts of draw your fit-pc claims to use.

cable length of your DC cable is only a foot or two, I don't see this as the issue.

I've checked the DC jack, and made sure its screwed in completely.

Actually, after reading all your points here, the only thing I could see as being a potential issue is the grounding of my system - I will recheck that and get back to you.

I just find it very strange, as I have an inverter there running off my battery bank as well.. if I plug the fit pc in to it with AC adaptor, it will turn on just fine without a monitor attached! however, if I connect the DC cable it will not turn on, however, if I plug the monitor into the inverter (directly connected to teh batteries) , and plug the DVI cable into the fit-pc (I do see some limited sparking if it comes in contact with the fit-pc chasis, so that tells me there is some current coming through the DVI cable?) .. once the monitor is plugged in, the fit-pc will indeed turn on using the DC cable!

Strange as the charge controller/battery bank, etc has a common grounding point.. but I will examine the ground wire as my source of the problem - any comment on that DVI cable causing some sparking when touching the fit-pc chasis?)

cheers,

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

So you're using our DC cable that is cut out and connected directly to the controller load output terminals. And you use screwdriver or other means to apply contacts. Please confirm.

Power indeed supplied from HDMI/DVI connector to the connected display, used to power display's internal EEPROM, which stores different display parameters (EDID).

Charliebishop

Re: Fit PC2i will NOT boot without monitor [solved]

Post by Charliebishop »

Its been a while but I wanted to update and say that I had solved this issue.

my fit-pc2i is powered off a solar array, though the charge controller on the solar array has a common ground, I found it necessary to add an independent ground to my load, this solved the issue - in case anyone out there is in a similar situation. Once the load terminals (which the fit-pc2i connects too) had its own ground, I could then boot up the computer just fine without a monitor attached!

cheers,

mbirger

Re: Fit PC2i will NOT boot without monitor [SOLVED]

Post by mbirger »

Great! Thanks for letting me know.
Make sense, in situations of customized system power supply an incorrect grounding is one of the main reasons for failures.

Return to “General fit-PC2 questions”