Server (web and file)

fit-PC2 as a file server, web server, mail server etc.
lordfuzzz

Server (web and file)

Post by lordfuzzz »

I'm planning on buying the fit-PC2 XP HD to evaluate it as an HTPC candidate. Then I'm planning on dual-booting the already loaded XP along with Ubuntu 8.04 and making it a Linux web server.

Does anyone foresee any preventable problems with that?

If I don't care about graphics (as in for the web server), would installing Ubuntu 9.04 be a problem? And will a standard installation of Ubuntu from the LiveCD work fine or are there specific procedures to loading Linux?

I'm pretty much ready to buy a Fit-PC2, but I would like these items answered before I do.

Thanks.

Timon_and_Pumba

Re: Server (web and file)

Post by Timon_and_Pumba »

I have installed Ubuntu 9.04, and a standard install will break the driver for the graphics card and wifi.
Graphics via the VESA driver still work, but do not expect fancy stuff.

For the rest I did not find any problems. Currently I am installing the Ebox platform (www.exbox-platform.com) for managing all server related stuff via a web-interface.

Good luck!

lordfuzzz

Post by lordfuzzz »

Oh, I didn't know it will break the Wifi as well. Well, I guess I'm glad I won't be needing the Wifi on the server.

Last but not least, what about the install procedure? Will the standard LiveCD work?

tisoft_media

Post by tisoft_media »

Standart Ubuntu 9.04 works fine for me.

Only graphiocs is unaccelerated vesa and the wifi is not working yet. Everything else seems to be fine.

Timon_and_Pumba

Post by Timon_and_Pumba »

I installed http://ebox-platform.com/ on my FitPC2. It works fine, although the most recent development version (1.1.20) does require some "expert" linux knowhow.
After it is installed correctly, everything runs smooth.
When I find the time, I will write up the details on how to accomplish such a setup.

jeremys

Post by jeremys »

I have winServer 2003 R2 Sp+ in this HW and everything works perfectly.
All web/ftp servers and apps are in a Ramdisk (256MB) and responses are very quick. Using GMA500 accelerated drivers so that DirectX 9.0c is updated and gfx accelerator is at full capasity.
temps are about 45 degree with 40GB mechanical HDD inside. Several USB devices are attached. :)

Return to “Server”