Setup for Web Server

fit-PC2 as a file server, web server, mail server etc.
judoan

Setup for Web Server

Post by judoan »

Just received my fit-pc2 with Ubuntu 9.04.

It's up and running and I dig it. I'm trying to build it into a web/subversion server, but it doesn't seem to come installed with Apache, PHP, MySQL, FTP Server, SSH Server, etc. (This is replacing a VM that was running CENTOS that had all this stuff installed...)

Can someone give me a kick in the right direction on where to start? Can I just install these from the regular Ubuntu distro? Or is there a special "Fit-PC" version I should be looking for?

(Also, it's asking if I want to install Ubuntu 10.04LTS. Is that a "NO, DON'T DO IT!", or a "Definitely!" or does it even matter?)

Thanks for any help guys!

vetetix

Re: Setup for Web Server

Post by vetetix »

To install everything you need for your web server, just apt-get install or aptitude install the needed packages.

However, you might want to reinstall the distro to get a "server" distro instead of the "desktop" one that it is shipped with. You can also simple remove unnecessary packages (everything X related, such as Gnome, gdm, OpenOffice.org, etc.).

Concerning the upgrade to 10.04 LTS, I don't know what wouldn't work for a server install, but if you keep Gnome and such, don't upgrade, you'd break everything.

Return to “Server”