System doesn't turn on

Power discussions, CPU and case temperature
boaz2

System doesn't turn on

Post by boaz2 »

Hello,

I have posted a post in the forum in regard to this problem a few month ago,
you've said you will make some checks in the lab, in regard to that problem.

We are running on Fit-PC 2 always on, winxp, ssd version.
we have 5 computers that experience similar symptoms.

as follows:
1) Watchdog is on, set at 250sec delay.
system is running great for about 2-3 days,
during a reboot or watchdog reset,
the computer doesn't turn on again.
to restart, we either press the power button or unplug/plug from the power source.

2) WatchDog is on on bios, but as soon as windows loads, we disable watchdog with the provided software.
system is running for about 2-3 days.
Fit-PC is shutting down spontaneously, and doesn't restart.
to restart, we either press the power button or unplug/plug from the power source.

The computers normally operate in a semi-closed box,
but we monitor the temperatures and the cpu temp never goes beyond 45c (out of the permitted 90c).

Please Assist.

irads

Re: System doesn't turn on

Post by irads »

Two described problems seem to be that Windows does shut-down rather than reboot - ie a software problem.
fit-PC2 can reboot from Windows. I believe it is a specific Windows installation or configuration issue.

boaz2

Post by boaz2 »

irads wrote:Two described problems seem to be that Windows does shut-down rather than reboot - ie a software problem.
fit-PC2 can reboot from Windows. I believe it is a specific Windows installation or configuration issue.
But if windows shut down,
the auto-on should kick in and start it, isn't it?

irads

Post by irads »

No, auto-on kicks in when power resumes. If Windows shuts down power applies continuously.

boaz2

Post by boaz2 »

irads wrote:No, auto-on kicks in when power resumes. If Windows shuts down power applies continuously.
Why would windows XP shuts it self down?

the software we run, are not doing anything related to shutting down or restarting...

irads

Post by irads »

Spontaneous shut-down is not a normal behavior. I suggest you investigate it further. If the same pattern occurs on several units as you write above it is most likely a SW issue. Check the installation and make sure you have the correct drivers.

boaz2

Post by boaz2 »

irads wrote:Spontaneous shut-down is not a normal behavior. I suggest you investigate it further. If the same pattern occurs on several units as you write above it is most likely a SW issue. Check the installation and make sure you have the correct drivers.
We are running on a perfectly normal WinXP SP3 installation... Drivers are up to date from fit-pc website.

Please note, the "shutdown" normally occurs after 2-3 days of operating..
We have tried to use some logging software to see if anything special happens inside the computer before this happens, but we couldn't locate any leads...

irads

Post by irads »

Windows itself has event logging. If shut-down is abrupt Windows will report it on next boot. Please advise if shut-down is by Windows shutting down or a sudden shutdown.

boaz2

Post by boaz2 »

irads wrote:Windows itself has event logging. If shut-down is abrupt Windows will report it on next boot. Please advise if shut-down is by Windows shutting down or a sudden shutdown.
Thanks,
Could you please advise how to locate the log files?

Return to “Power and Heat”