ssd performance?

Hard disks, SSD, SATA interface, external HDD
littlehuman

ssd performance?

Post by littlehuman »

Hi,

I am planning to use ocz vertex with fit pc 2. Am I going to get full performance of vertex with fit pc 2?

p.s: ah.. how do I cancel my order? I contact sales@fit-pc.com serveral times. He/she does not reply...I re-ordered fit-pc2 diskless instead of fit-pc2 value wifi...

ender

Re: ssd performance?

Post by ender »

Fit-PC2 has only IDE interface, and an IDE->SATA bridge, so you won't be able to get full performance from Vertex. But then again, if you really want a superfast machine, you wouldn't be going for Fit-PC2 anyway.

irads

Post by irads »

Work week in Israel is Sunday through Thursday. It may take 2-3 business days to process order cancellation.

Brain

Post by Brain »

Ok, too bad it doesn't perform for the full 100%.

But it does mean that SSD's will work in the FIT-PC? I'm not really interessed in hardcore performance but in ultra-low power consumption for my little fileserver.

and as all the attached computers are two laptops ( wireless ) harddisk performance of the fileserver is not that important for me.

irads

Post by irads »

SATA SSD works well with fit-PC2. The most noticeable effect is the absolute silence.

SaWey

Post by SaWey »

I equipped my fit pc with a 30Gb OCZ Vertex SSD and it's running great in absolute silence.

siliconlunch

Post by siliconlunch »

I just installed a 50GB OCZ Vertex 2 SATA II 2.5" SSD (OCZSSD2-2VTX50G) into my Fit-PC2. It uses MLC NAND with the SandForce 1200 controller.

Early impressions are that it has made the machine only marginally faster. hdparm -t, also, reports only about 60MB/sec max IO throughput to the SSD. For those unfamiliar with hdparm, it's a Linux tool that measures raw sustained, sequential data read performance, bypassing any filesystem overheads.

The drive is spec'd at 285MB/s (max) and I have seen this model perform around this level for sequential reads in a regular PC.

Is there anything one can optimize (BIOS, etc) to improve the IO? Seems the SATA architecture is the bottleneck?

BTW, I am going to do the same hdparm tests with my original 2.5" HDD and compare to see the difference.

yogev_ezra

Post by yogev_ezra »

FitPC2 uses PATA->SATA Marvell bridge chip as the US15W chipset does not natively support SATA. Therefore the speed would be limited to 100 MB/sec PATA throughput. However the figure you presented (same as for regular HDD) is too low anyway, I would expect something in range of 70-90 MB/sec.

To test the real SSD speed on FitPC2 I would recommend you to install Windows and use some tool like CrystalDiskMark.

siliconlunch

Post by siliconlunch »

I'm in the process of installing karmic, to see if any of the Fit-PC2 drivers make a difference.

I had installed Lucid initially on the SSD.

siliconlunch

Post by siliconlunch »

After installing karmic I ran hdparm tests again.

The average over 10 tests performed on a freshly booted quiescent system comes out to around 55 MB/sec.

This is certainly disappointing considering the theoretical max disk throughput is 100 MB/sec.

Anyone hazard a guess as to what the issue might be? Driver? SSD? Kernel?

Return to “Storage”