3"5 (with external energy supply)

Hard disks, SSD, SATA interface, external HDD
ciol_tr

3"5 (with external energy supply)

Post by ciol_tr »

Hi everybody !

I have just receved my fit-PC2 and my problem isn't that the 3"5 won't work (because the fit-pc2 hasn't any 12V), but how use an 3"5 HDD anyway !

My solution is by using an external powersupply in order to power the 3"5 HDD and of course connect the dataline with some sata extension.

I think that the fit PC is safe as the HDD but correct me if i'm wrong !

PS : sorry for my english (french inside !)

web733

Re: 3"5 (with external energy supply)

Post by web733 »

Hello!

The problem is, that 3.5" hard drives needs 12V and 5V power supply. To access two 3.5" hard disks with a good performance two additional things are needed on the Fit-PC2. The first one is a SATA controller with at least two ports (mPCIe). The second one is a power supply.
As there is not enough space on a mPCIe card for all these components, i decided to separate the card. One contains the SATA controller and the other one includes the power supply and the SATA connectors.

If you are interested in this solution, you can find further information on my homepage.

http://embedded-solution.de

qube

Post by qube »

Hi, I'm interested in exactly the same thing, but in FIT-PC2i

web733: your solutions looks nice, but does it work with FIT-PC2i? I guess not as I have read somewhere that FIT-PC2i has both mPCIe lanes taken by network controllers.

Also I would like to ask what power consumption has system with your mPCIe card (with and without HDD).

web733

Post by web733 »

I didn't tested it with the FIT-PC2i. But the reference guide http://www.compulab.co.il/fitpc2i/downl ... sb-man.pdf shows a mPCIe expansion slot. I think the card should work. I don't know how the two network controllers are connected - maybe a PCIe switch is used.

My system consists of
- FIT-PC2
- 32GB SSD (System)
- SATAconex with extender card
- two 3.5" SATA hard disks (3TB together)
- 48W power supply (traco power)

I measured the following power consumption for the hole system:

both disks idle: 7.9W
one disk active: 12W
both disks active: 15.6W
max power consumption during disk seek: 18W

fly

Post by fly »

As far as I know the fitPC2i supports only usb over the miniPCI-e connectors. The pci express line is used for the secondary ethernet port.

yogev_ezra

Post by yogev_ezra »

Fit-PC2i does not provide PCIe lane on the mini-PCIexpress port because both lanes are occupied by LAN ports (fly answered correctly). So the above solution is only good for Fit-PC2, not "i".

Return to “Storage”