LXDE Video

Lake Trout

LXDE Video

Post by Lake Trout »

I have a minimal Ubuntu 9.04 installation using LXDE. Will I be able to use mplayer-vaapi, or will I need to use gnome? I would like to be able to view higher-quality video but prefer to use a light window manager. I intend to use the machine primarily to for Squeezeserver, email, and backup.

Thanks in advance for any advice or answers.

Mylife

Re: LXDE Video

Post by Mylife »

Hello,

Video doesn't depend on the window manager.

You don't need to use Gnome.
However, if you install something that's got a link with Gnome libraries (mplayer-vaapi ?), Ubuntu will tell you that it needs to install some extra Gnome package dependencies too.
You'll have more stuffs installed on your hard drive (not this much) but your desktop will still remain lightweight (still managed by LXDE).

Lake Trout

Post by Lake Trout »

Cool, that's what I hoped. I was just a bit afraid of switching to the fit-pc repository. Thanks for the input - I'll post back on the results.

Lake Trout

Post by Lake Trout »

However, if you install something that's got a link with Gnome libraries (mplayer-vaapi ?), Ubuntu will tell you that it needs to install some extra Gnome package dependencies too
Worked great. Quite a few new libraries but no big gnome-related stuff that I could see. Video looks great now.

Thanks!

Return to “Ubuntu 9.04”