[problem] Video driver support after kernel update

scotte

[problem] Video driver support after kernel update

Post by scotte »

The i386 kernel version 11 or 13 worked fine. After a kernel update, my Ubuntu 9.04 refuses to accept the psb drivers - and I've followed a lot of web sites for drivers and xorg.conf tweaks. Nothing has worked. Native video support at least gives me high res, but no smooth scrolling.

Any updates/help to get proper smooth scrolling of both still windows and any motion video (streaming, stored movies, etc)?

Windows XP and beyond do provide good video, but they are Microsoft products (nothing against MS, but I do prefer non MS.

None of the web boards show any help with the psb/GMA500 chipsets for any non MS product - BSDs, Linux, OpenSolaris.

Insight/ideas/solutions welcome.

Thanks.

Denis

Re: [problem] Video driver support after kernel update

Post by Denis »

Clear installation instaructions exists on our wiki http://fit-pc2.com/wiki/index.php?title ... on_fit-PC2

I personally prefer 8.04 because it`s faster than 9.04.
Compulab's Linux support

gmv100

Post by gmv100 »

The kernel upgrade probably broke compatibility with the PSB kernel modules. I found that the modules for my DVB-S tuner stopped working after the kernel upgrade and had to be recompiled; this was for Ubuntu 8.04.

I'm glad to hear there is now support for 9.04 from the Fit-PC2 repositories. Scotte, I should think that adding these repositories and forcing a re-install of the psb modules should fix your problem, rather than having to do a full re-install.

scotte

Post by scotte »

Denis wrote:Clear installation instaructions exists on our wiki http://fit-pc2.com/wiki/index.php?title ... on_fit-PC2

I personally prefer 8.04 because it`s faster than 9.04.

8.04 has no SATA support, and I have a SATA hard drive. I _could_ make the hard drive external, but I prefer it be internal.

Any idea if updated kernels for any Ubuntu version breaks the driver support?

Thanks.

Return to “Ubuntu 9.04”