Android x86 on fit-pc2 z510

vtailor

Android x86 on fit-pc2 z510

Post by vtailor »

Actually, I am running this from a flash stick on the z510. It shows about 500 mb of available ram, and the analog sound output definitely works. The resolution is not one of those things you can reach from a user level, but it looks like 1024x768. In other words, a 43 monitor should do the job.

Now, if only I could do things with the chrome browser that work under ordinary Linux.

vtailor

Re: Android x86 on fit-pc2 z510

Post by vtailor »

For your interest: If you change part of the kernel command line to:

vga=792 video=1360x768

you end up with a double android logo, which is not what you want, but might tell a kernel expert how to get the desired result.

Also, under android, looking up a youtube video involves using the browser to look up youtube.com john kerry speeches
rather than going to youtube.com as a URL.

P. S. On the fit-pc3, you get 16:9 video automatically. Is that unfair or what?

vtailor

Re: Android x86 on fit-pc2 z510

Post by vtailor »

I think I know the basis for the difference between how the fit-pc2 and the fit-pc3 run android. The android for x86 kernel has drivers for the Intel Sandybridge and the AMD E450 built in, so they don't show up on an 'lsmod', but the kernel does not have the gma500_gfx kernel module. So, they rely on setting up an unaccelerated frame buffer with the 'vga=' on the kernel line, and this unaccelerated frame buffer is what is providing streaming video for the fit-pc2.

So, if you have any clout with google, you might arrange to get Future releases of android to include the gma500 accelerated frame buffer graphics, instead of leaving it out. After all, what difference would that make in a 197M .iso file?

And, BTW, the android may not run streaming flash as well as Windows 8 with the gma500 driver, but what it does run is lip synchronized and free of extraneous noises. To put it another way, hip-hop music is amazing, and you wonder what is wrong with Windows 7 and Windows 8 in the first place.

P. S. Did you know that, when I connected to this forum using android google chrome, your web page listed 20 or 30 visitors? It must be some kind of a web site bug in android. Perhaps you can fix the bug so that android shows zero visitors the way it does on RIP.

Return to “Other operating systems on fit-PC2”