what's the best/running smoothly os to use with fitpc2

gashiss

what's the best/running smoothly os to use with fitpc2

Post by gashiss »

I wondered what's the best version of unbuntu to use?
(think of that because of the videodrivers questions)
If linux unbuntu is not the best choice,what's the best option?

Re: what's the best/running smoothly os to use with fitpc2

Post by 9812713 »

Hi Gashiss

The best supported OS would be the Windows based OS (Windows XP - Windows 7) Skip Windows Vista. Likely the BEST BEST version of Windows would be an Embedded version, but few have access to this.

As far as Linux is concerned, Ubuntu 9.10 would be best, 9.04 is old, and 10.04 is Alpha...

FreeBSD, Qnx, DOS, are not going to be a glowing example of what the Fitpc2 can do... but you are welcome to experiment.

From a server point of view, a headless Linux is likely a good choice.

For Media - My vote is with Linux (Myth TV, or XBMC)

For straight forward (ease) - Windows based.

W.

lucian

Post by lucian »

for linux best hardware support has mandriva out of the box. after initial trouble, i have now 1920x1080 resolution, network running fine and got 1080 hd video running too.

regards

Aura

Post by Aura »

lucian wrote:for linux best hardware support has mandriva out of the box. after initial trouble, i have now 1920x1080 resolution, network running fine and got 1080 hd video running too.
Care to share how you got it running?
Have your writen some sort of mini-guide for it? Was it easy?
I would like to try Mandriva out but im new to Linux and need a little help getting started :)

lucian

Post by lucian »

1) installation as in this posts

http://www.fit-pc2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=1017
http://www.fit-pc2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=1001

after that i guess u need to make a full update, as a lot has happen concering the psb drivers. also the network drives seems to be fixed now, so the r8168 chip works fine now with the r8169 drivers.

2) desktop environment

with kde and gnome i had flicker at higher resolution and they are kinda slow. best results so far to go with e17. just install the metapackages via mcc. u can change the default window manager in the mcc under options boot too.

you can can get transparent windows with the module bling. could not find yet the ecomorph module for mandriva.

3) video

via mcc install
mplayer-vaapi and mplayer-vaapi-gui

now you should be able to watch (via gmplayer) 1080 hd video. however, for heavy stuff you need to disable the bling module from e17.

i am really happy with this setup. its eye candy and quite fast, i use the fitpc als daily computer and home server. with monitor together just using 30 watts ...

if you get stuck, just drop a note to the forum.

Return to “Other operating systems on fit-PC2”