USB Video 7" Samsung Model U70

DVI, HDMI (or lack of), VGA (or lack of), supported displays
AoRaToS

Re: USB Video 7" Samsung Model U70

Post by AoRaToS »

I've got one more for you, disconnect the U70 and keep only the other monitor connected.

Then run this the same way as I said above:
http://rapidshare.com/files/292535138/R ... hanger.exe

If you're lucky it'll change it's resolution to 1024x768 and work

tom_in_atlanta

Post by tom_in_atlanta »

I will give these a try when I get home. I haven't setup LAN access from machine to machine on my home PCs but I guess I can figure it out. I have a router, but never needed to share files between machines before. Can I just load the files on a USB flash drive? Will windows recognize it?

I landed on a good link for creating a bootable XP installation on a flash drive. I think it uses the same Multiboot app you mentioned. Here is the link: http://blog.800hightech.com/install-win ... -8gb/4886/

So maybe i won't have to resort to a complete re-install. Thanks for all the help. How do I send a PM?

AoRaToS

Post by AoRaToS »

Try it and let me know!
Yes you can do it with a USB stick, I guess it'll be labeled D: so you can do it that way, easier also...

To send a PM there is a little PM button just under this message (and every other), next to the date...

||
||
||
||
\/

tom_in_atlanta

Post by tom_in_atlanta »

Well, I seem to keep digging my self in deeper and deeper. I attempted to run your scripts to change the resolution with no success. My ace in the hole has always been to reload XP, I built a USB stick using the following instructions:

http://blog.800hightech.com/install-win ... -8gb/4886/

When I booted the usb stick, i got video long enough to launch the install. Once it was launched, the screen went black. I saw activity on the HDD and the USB stick was lit and seemed to be active.

It was setup as an "unattended" install, so i figured everything was running OK. The fact that I had no display after the first screen was puzzling, but I figured it was running and didn't need my attention.

I went through several cycles where the HDD seemed to be active, and then after 20 minutes or so, the unit shut down. I started it up again and the cycle repeated. Now this has happened at least half a dozen times. I am hesitant to remove the USB stick because there were so many warnings not to do so.

I still have no display, and my patience is running thin. Any suggestions? I do have an external CD drive. Last time I attempted to use it for an XP install from the provided disk, it didn't recognize the disk and I got nowhere. I am running out of options. Any ideas?

tom_in_atlanta

Post by tom_in_atlanta »

Removed USB stick and restarted install. Software behaved normally. Windows XP seems to be installing correctly now from usb. Whew...

tom_in_atlanta

Post by tom_in_atlanta »

It worked!

I have one question. When I install the Video drivers, should I install both the GMA500 video driver AND the Display Link driver? Or just the Display Link driver. I want to use my Fit-PC2 using only the Samsung U70 monitor via USB. And occasionally the DVI monitor. But I want to be able to use the U70 stand-alone. Also, the feedback I have read is that the IEG drivers are inferior to Display Link, so I was going to avoid them.

tom_in_atlanta

Post by tom_in_atlanta »

I now have XP and all the drivers (including Displaylink) installed. I can use the U70 as my primary display, and the DVI monitor in extend mode. But when I shut down, and disconnect the DVI monitor, and startup again, I get no display on the U70. I followed all the instructions you gave me. What am I doing wrong?

AoRaToS

Post by AoRaToS »

I don't know what's wrong :/
Mine works fine!
Check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn8V3dWtNkw
Quality isn't that good, I only had my cell phone available to record it, and I've disabled sound.
(My first youtube video by the way, lol)

tom_in_atlanta

Post by tom_in_atlanta »

Hmmm. Same monitor. Same Displaylink driver. Same settings. Same CPU. It looks in your video like you only have one USB connection to the monitor. Am I seeing it right? I have two. One for data, one for power.

I wondered also how you setup your main monitor. I installed XP, and all the drivers, including the GMA 500 driver, then the Displaylink driver. Is that what you did? I also notice you have XP setup without a user sign-in screen. Don't know if that makes a difference.

I guess if I can't resolve this I will have to call 1-800-SAMSUNG and get a tech on the line.

I see you have also experimented with other input devices. Like the Logitech Ninovo. I bought one too. And I tried out a thumbpad by a UK company called the Logic3. But the best thumbpad I tried is some freeware called BluCTRL. It lets you use your Blackberry keypad and trackball to control your PC. Pretty slick. And I have a battery pack from Tekken.

If I ever get this monitor working stand-alone I will have a nice mobile setup. And I can always use my Fit-PC2 as a hand warmer on cold winter days. :) Tom

AoRaToS

Post by AoRaToS »

Yes if you read the description next to the video, I use a 1 cable USB, I used both on fit-PC Slim but when I saw it can work with one, I switched to this cable and not waste 1 usb slot... I have an 8" Century LCD-8000U monitor with 800x600 max res which uses just 1 usb cable, so two forthe 7" U70 I thought was overkill...I haven't tried the 8" with any fit-PC, I used it for some other machine and it's great, I even think the fit-PC Slim mobo may fit behind it, inside the casing, but I'm not sure If I'll ever try that...I'm also thinking of making it a touch screen...I have a 7" touch module I wanted to use on the U70 but I had some problems with that so haven't done it, I'd like to solder it's input to the same usb port so I only have to run one cable, or maybe the 2cable one but not 2 different cables (one for U70 and one for touch on two ports).Maybe I'll try it someday, or someone else will ;)

I bought the DiNovo Mini for my fit-PC Slim and I know use it for this setup which is even better!It has a good battery which lasts for a few months on a charge and also uses 1 usb for mouse+keyboard. Downside is there's no Fkeys so to go into bios I have to use another keyboard...I wish they used "Del" like in fit-PC Slim...(irads can this be done? "Del" is better than "F2" IMHO)

That's exactly how I did the setup, at first I used only my main monitor over HDMI (no adapter needed since my main monitor has HDMI), I had the U70 just sitting there...I decided to use it after I saw the first post here concerning it, and I found out it works...The "no login sceen" doesn't seem to matter, I just like it that way cause I have a wireless network I want it to connect to and a downloader working at startup.
The program on the right is my s!mpL3 LAN Messenger (a simple msn like program I made for LAN).

I also warm my hands on it when it's cold :D
The Slim got warmer though :( ( :lol: )

Return to “Display interface”