I3M for FreeBSD

tbr

I3M for FreeBSD

Post by tbr »

I have FreeBSD running nicely on the Airtop, but would like to be able to use the I3M to monitor the CPU temperature. Is there any documentation on how to pass the temperature from the OS to the I3M? Is the source for the linux service (airtop-fpsvc) available? I'd be happy to write the FreeBSD equivalent and return the source to CompuLab, but it would be nice to have some idea of where to start.

irads

Re: I3M for FreeBSD

Post by irads »

Thanks. I will forward to our SW engineer in charge of I3M for support.

Deleted User 10065

Post by Deleted User 10065 »

Hi tbr,

I asked the people who maintain the company GitHub account to upload the Linux I3M daemon. It will be available in a few days.

Our GitHub account can be found here: https://github.com/compulab

tbr

Post by tbr »

Many thanks! I just finished adapting a screen widget to disply the temperature, but the front panel will be better. I'll check the github site over the next few days.

Deleted User 10065

The daemon was uploaded to GitHub:

https://github.com/compulab/i3m-linux-daemon

tbr

Post by tbr »

Got it. Thanks! I won't have time to look at it until next week, but will keep you informed of progress when I make some :).

tbr

FreeBSD status update (Re: I3M for FreeBSD)

Post by tbr »

I have the airtop-fpsvc building and running on FreeBSD, and finding the CPU core temperatures. My GENERIC kernel with the various iic modules loaded is not seeing the iic bus though, so no temps on the front panel yet. I now have to shift to looking into the various bits of kernel/module iic code to see what's not working there. I'll post another status update when I have more progress to report.

tbr

Re: FreeBSD status update (Re: I3M for FreeBSD)

Post by tbr »

tbr wrote:... I'll post another status update when I have more progress to report.
I have the airtop-fpsvc daemon running on FreeBSD. The only value the service is currently is currently providing to the front panel is CPU temperature, but that demonstrates the functioning framework.

It turns out the missing IIC bus was simply a case of the wrong drivers being loaded. Loading the FreeBSD modules ichsmb, smbus, and smb provides SMBus access through /dev/smb0, with no other configuration required.

What's left is code cleanup, and checking into all the other information the linux code implies should be available (e.g. CPU frequency, HDD sizes, etc.).

Final question: What's the best way to return this once I have it cleaned up? A simple attached tarball? A diff? Something else?

Deleted User 10065

tbr wrote: I have the airtop-fpsvc daemon running on FreeBSD.
Nice! :D
tbr wrote: Final question: What's the best way to return this once I have it cleaned up? A simple attached tarball? A diff? Something else?
Create a patchset with

Code: Select all

git format-patch --cover-letter
and

git send-email
it over to nikita at compulab dot co dot il.

tbr

Post by tbr »

nikitak wrote: Create a patchset with

git format-patch --cover-letter
and

git send-email
it over to nikita at compulab dot co dot il.
Will do. I am not likely to get to it this weeked, but it should happen some evening next week. I still need to make sure I have not broken the Linux build.

Return to “I3M”