Fitlet-i storage

vitor

Fitlet-i storage

Post by vitor »

Can a mSATA and a SATA 2.5" be installed together inside fitlet-i?

irads

Re: Fitlet-i storage

Post by irads »

There is no room in fitlet for 2.5" disk.

Arwen

Re: Fitlet external storage

Post by Arwen »

That does bring up an interesting point. Some add-on vendors make external disk drive enclosures that match specific models of computers. For example, I remember someone being able to get a Apple MAC Mini add-on drive enclosure of the same foot print as the MAC Mini.

Perhaps we can encorage an add-on vendor to make an enclosure for a 2.5" low power SATA drive with both eSATA and USB 3.0 data. (Perhaps using 2 x USB 2.0 for power when using eSATA.) One that fits directly beneath the fitlet. With both inputs, a model B or X which does not have eSATA can use USB. While the I model can avoid the translation and use eSATA.

Just an idea.
Arwen Evenstar
Rivendale, Middle Earth

irads

Post by irads »

I am not sure external hard disks are as popular as first seems.
Since we have similar products with internal hard disks (fit-PC4) I believe this use case is covered.

vitor

Post by vitor »

Something like that would be great! I was considering Fitlet-i as a router/Wifi AP/old game emulator/media centre/storage server. Without support for a 2.5" SATA disk the "storage" part is out of question.
If the add-on could still support VESA mount, then it really would be perfect!
But, does Fitlet have a power supply big enough for that?

irads

Post by irads »

fit-PC4 Pro or MintBox 2 seem to address the requirements.

The power supply of fitlet is rated 36W - plenty of power for fitlet and external disk(s).

vitor

Post by vitor »

They do, but since this box is going to be a simple router and wifi AP 90% of the time, the 4.5W of CPU TDP in Fitlet is much more attractive ;)

Arwen

Post by Arwen »

A quick check showed the following 2.5" disk enclosures have both USB 3.0 and eSATA, (Amazon.com links);

Anker 2.5" enclosure
Etekcity 2.5" enclosure
Oyen Digital MiniPro 2.5 enclosure

I checked the measurements of the last one, it's slightly longer, (4.9" verses 4.25"), slightly wider, (3.9" verses 3.26"), and slightly taller, (1.0" verses .94"). The last enclosure also has the ability to take separate A.C. power, or use dual USB 2.0 ports for power.
For me, I would install below a fitlet, so slightly larger is better than smaller.
Arwen Evenstar
Rivendale, Middle Earth

vitor

Post by vitor »

@Arwen thanks for sharing your research results.

I was considering using a VESA mount to put Fitlet behind my TV. Is anyone aware of any "VESA mount disk enclosure" with stacking support? :P

Return to “Storage”