Hardware Video Acceleration - working with Ubuntu / Mint?

supercom32

Hardware Video Acceleration - working with Ubuntu / Mint?

Post by supercom32 »

Hi Everyone,

Following the install guide (http://www.fit-pc.com/wiki/index.php/Fi ... ux_Mint_17) I was able to get Mint working. However, I noted that while the page recommends VLC and Kodi for Video Acceleration, performance is kind of sketchy for 1080p playback with Kodi. VLC seems to work fine, but with Kodi I get around 15-18fps for 1080p content.

Is this normal considering video should be hardware accelerated? Maybe Kodi isn't using it properly?

Denis

Re: Hardware Video Acceleration - working with Ubuntu / Mint

Post by Denis »

Can you please send a link to your 1080p content?
Compulab's Linux support

supercom32

Re: Hardware Video Acceleration - working with Ubuntu / Mint

Post by supercom32 »

Ah, I would but the file is like 9gb. (^_^); When I get back from work, I'll try to find a smaller 1080p file I can reproduce the issue with. Saving that, I might be able to print out the video specs in case anything blatant stands out.

After playing around with it a bit more yesterday, I think the difference I am seeing is load? Using LXDE desktop to reduce overhead, VLC and mPlayer can play most videos just fine, with rare occasion dipping in framerate. But that only seems to happen when the incoming bit rate spikes around 12-15Mb/s. Now under Kodi, all the menus and animations of the Kodi UI are super smooth. However when I play the same video it mostly bounces around the 15fps-20fps range. I also note that at least one of my CPU cores seems to max out (maybe due to having to decode DTS or something?)

Perhaps If I installed Windows 7, I might get better performance since the drivers are probably more mature?

Return to “Linux on MintBox Mini / Linux on fitlet”