Boot Options

rbc1888

Boot Options

Post by rbc1888 »

Will the fitlet bios allow booting from usb or msdhc cards? If so, what key actives boot drive options?

Thank you. Looking forward to purchasing either the fitlet-b or the mintbox mini!

hassellbear

Re: Boot Options

Post by hassellbear »

BIOS allows USB booting for sure. I just re-installed Linux Mint using a bootable USB image. In order to do this I had to adjust the boot order in BIOS.

Press the Delete key during booting to access the bios.

P.S. - You will like Fitlet

Arwen

Post by Arwen »

The BIOS has an option to boot off the SD card. My initial tests failed, but I did have
problems with Grub. Some have been solved, but I have not yet re-tested booting off
the SD card.
Arwen Evenstar
Rivendale, Middle Earth

irads

Post by irads »

Please note feature support status - http://fit-pc.com/wiki/index.php/Fitlet ... d_features

SD card boot will be supported, but is not supported yet (as of 12-Jun-15).

Arwen

Post by Arwen »

irads,

Thanks for pointing that out.

In the short term, I am able to use the SD card for some Linux OS recovery operations
as long as my Linux "/boot" on the mSATA drive is good. Meaning if I screw up the "/"
on the mSATA drive, I can likely fix it while using the OS on the SD card.

Just tested using "/" on ZFS with my new, high speed SDXC card, works better than I
hoped.
Arwen Evenstar
Rivendale, Middle Earth

bibo01

Post by bibo01 »

irads wrote:Please note feature support status - http://fit-pc.com/wiki/index.php/Fitlet ... d_features

SD card boot will be supported, but is not supported yet (as of 12-Jun-15).
I do not understand.
In that link it says that "Windows cannot boot from SD-card". However, in my tests about a month ago I was able to boot from SD card with Window Server 2012 R2 (I haven't tried Win7/8/10) on my Fitlet-B. It was just slower to load than ArchLinux (as well from SD card) and it gave a nuisance error about not being able to create a swap file (which I did not want anyway).

As a matter of fact I never had any mSATA storage.

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

Thanks for pointing this subject. It's a typo.
http://www.fit-pc.com/wiki/index.php/Fi ... d_features

Boot from SD card is supported for Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. Windows 7 still cannot boot from SD card.

ReneFunga

Post by ReneFunga »

I can likely fix it while using the OS on the SD card.
sbobet ไทย

Jackobli

Post by Jackobli »

I just installed my fitlet-iA10.
I got Windows 10 installed on the mSSD (Samsung 850 EVO) and I got Linux Mint installed on a the microSD-Card. But I am unable to boot the microSD. There is no BIOS Option for booting the microSD (just every flavour of USB and network).
I am on the newest BIOS available.
Where do I set that option?
It would also be great, to have an option key (Fnn) to choose the boot device without entering the BIOS.

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

Our BIOS expert will advise on this...

Return to “fitlet BIOS”