Power over ethernet ( POE ) option?

maglito

Power over ethernet ( POE ) option?

Post by maglito »

Is there a way or module that would allow these fitlet systems to run on passive or active POE?

We use these POE switches in our network and simply plugging one of these into one of our poe switches would be very useful.
https://www.netonix.com/wisp-switch/ws-12-250-dc.html

I have run an Intel NUC off one of these switches using "24VH" (24V on all pins) and a using a POE extractor wired straight to the power header on the board, but an all-in-one design would be much simpler in the future.
The power extractor used for the NUC:
http://tyconsystems.com/index.php/passi ... -1000-dinx

Thanks,
Anthony

Arwen

Re: Power over ethernet ( POE ) option?

Post by Arwen »

Both devices you list may not be standardized IEEE PoE. The switch
mentions 24 volt, in addition to 48 volt, though it may beable to do IEEE
PoE. The spliter mentions 130 watts and use of all 8 wires.

Standard IEEE PoE is 48 volt, and either 12 watt or 25 watt. Plus, use only
4 wires.

Most of the filet models should be able to work within the 12 watt limit.
And even the ones with built in 2.5" disk, (models -H and -T), should be
able to work within the 25 watt limit at full load.

So the answer is that the fitlets CAN work with IEEE PoE. It appears you
just need the correct power splitter, 12 volt with proper plug. That said,
I don't know if your switch will work.
Arwen Evenstar
Rivendale, Middle Earth

hassellbear

Post by hassellbear »

IEEE POE works fine with fitlet IA10 - in a headless configuration. Powering both fitlet and a monitor might be a bit challenging - even for the IEEE POE+ standard. A low power monitor would be a must.

Non-IEEE POE = ? The manufacurer's test sheet for your Netonix switch indicates POE+ capability, but there is no mention of the IEEE 802.3AT standard. In contrast, the Intellinet injector and splitter I tested fitlet with prominently indicate they are IEEE 802.3AT compliant. I would suggest you contact Netonix for clarification and guidance.

As Arwen has noted, a data/power splitter is required.

See: http://www.fit-pc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=153&t=5731

Good luck and best regards

Hassellbear

maglito

Post by maglito »

Those switches can provide power over 4 or 8 pins (configurable).

Passive POE is what all Ubquiti ( www.ubnt.com ) products run off of, and as a result the entire outdoor wireless industry products do as well.

In addition to that, many IP camera and phones are compatible with this method, "passive POE". In addition IEEE devices work fine when plugged in and 48V is selected for 4 pins, respecting a 36 watt / .75A limit. The same .75A (18 watt) limit is enforced when set to 24V 4pin.

Vendors in outdoor wireless (like Ubiquiti) have gone to all 8 pins being powered to accommodate higher power devices.

And with all 8 pins being powered at 24V a 36watt load can be accommodated.

This perfectly suits an Intel NUC (motherboard power header accepts up to 24V DC) but requires a separate large, power injector/extractor (as does your product too, apparently) and cutting the opening of the NUC to access the motherboard power header. This outdoor wireless industry has equipment running in small enclosures at the bottom of communication towers, water towers, grain elevators, etc. and space is a premium. In addition to the space constraint, the the wiring mess these external power extractors cause also makes them undesirable, but currently required.

Netonix markets these switches specifically to this industry to help eliminate power injectors being needed in these small enclosures and provides a solution to power and manage all the necessary equipment directly from the switch.

This works wonderfully with routers, cameras, etc but there is currently no way to directly have an Intel/AMD X86/X64 based computer plugged directly into these switches as a small headless server for network monitoring(SNMP), HTTP servers, etc. I found your product and it's modular approach and was hopeful that it could provide the solution (there is apparently no POE product/module).

A system with 2+ 10/100/1000 copper ports, one of them supporting POE input power would be very useful (or one of the non POE ports could also be SFP, but SFP is not required especially at a large cost impact).

A 48V input on 4 pins would work for both passive POE and IEEE POE or just accepting 24V on all 8 pins would probably be cheaper as there is no step down of the voltage required (as in the Intel NUC example sited above). Either would work fine in my scenario. I'm sure such a device would be very useful to the outdoor wireless / WISP industry, and I'm sure other as well, as there are currently no reasonable, affordable small PCs that run off POE.

Quite the untapped niche....

Thanks.

Return to “General fitlet questions”