Fitlet XA10 does not start

MJGraf

Fitlet XA10 does not start

Post by MJGraf »

Hi everyone,

I just received my Fitlet XA10.
I installed 8GB RAM (Kingston HX316LS9IB/8 as per the list of compatible RAM modules) and pluged in the power cord.
The power LED becomes yellow.

When I press the power button, nothing happens. The LED stays yellow - even if I press and hold the power button for 5 or 10 seconds, nothing happens, the LED stays yellow.

Is there a description what "constant yellow LED" means? Either the fitlet or the RAM module doesn't seem to work.
I tried installing my SSD (although I don't believe this is necessary for powering on the fitlet), but nothing changes.
I de-installed the FACET Card and the SSD - just left the RAM in, nothing changes.
Finally I tried even without RAM and the result is the same - yellow LED is on, nothing happens.

Is there a way to find out, what is actually wrong? Something like the "beeps" on the Speaker in older PCs. I Need to find out, whether (a) I do anything wrong, (b) the RAM is broken or (c) the fitlet is broken. Unfortunately, I don't have another device, where I can test this type of RAM...

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

fmk

Re: Fitlet XA10 does not start

Post by fmk »

I have an IA10. The ram is necessary for it to start, not sure about SSD.

I had the same problem at first. I took out the ram and reinstalled several times and it finally worked. Seems it is a little touchy about how it is inserted. Since then it has worked solid for me.

MJGraf

Post by MJGraf »

Thanks fmk,
was your LED also yellow and pressing the power button did not have any effect?
I'll try to reinstall the RAM again, but to be honest, this doesn't really make me confident in fitlet's reliability. I need a 200% stable system as a firewall. Let's see how all this resolves...
Thanks again!

fmk

Post by fmk »

I do recall noticing the led would go from a yellowish orange to a more orange color and back which I assumed meant it was turning on and off. But I was also swapping hdmi cables, monitors, keyboards, pulling & inserting ram and ssd to figure out why I wasn't getting any monitor output and I don't remember if the led change was happening all that time.

I don't run mine 24/7 but it's often on for 12 or more hours at a stretch running a variety of desktop software and it's been rock solid. I think you'll be satisfied if you get it working.

MJGraf

Post by MJGraf »

And once more thank you for sharing your experience.
Unfortunately, my problem seems to be different.

I tried inserting and removing the RAM module at least 10 times this morning, plugged in the power cord with RAM and without RAM (no other cable or device connected). When plugging in the power cord, the LED becomes yellow and it stays yellow no matter how often I press (or hold) the power button.

The LED to me seems yellow - but you may also say it is orange. In any case, the color of the LED does not change. No matter what I do, which makes me believe my problem is different from yours...

Any further suggestions?

fmk

Post by fmk »

No, sorry. I was lucky that it was something simple in my case, but if the LED doesn't change at all it does sound like something more. Hopefully one of the fitPC guys will have some suggestions.

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

Do you get resets or is it just doesn't power on and doesn't boot?
Have you tried both HDMI ports?
(BTW, the system requires RAM to boot normally, but SSD is not required for that.)

Please try these steps - in 90% of the cases BIOS reset helps.
http://fit-pc.com/wiki/index.php/Fitlet_Troubleshooting

If BIOS reset won't help I'm afraid it will be an RMA case.

MJGraf

Post by MJGraf »

Hi mbirger,
it just doesn't power on and doesn't boot. I now also tried the bios reset, but unfortunately it didn't help either.
Initially I tried both HDMI ports, but didn't get any signal on any of them. Later I didn't even connect the HDMI cable because my assumption was that I only need power and RAM, then press the power button and the power LED should switch from yellow to green. Is this assumption correct?
What I will try before I RMA the fitlet is a different RAM. I will get my hands on a 8GB Samsung stick in the course of this week (the one from the compatible RAM list), which enables me to check whether my current Kingston RAM is broken or there is a compatibility issue with my Kingston stick. If that doesn't help either, I'll RMA my fitlet.
Thanks for your help!

MJGraf

Post by MJGraf »

I've just tried an 8GB Samsung (M471B1G73QH0-YK0) RAM stick, but unfortunately the fitlet doesn't boot with this one either. This RAM is proven to work, as I took it out from a laptop, where it worked before and after that without a problem.
So it seems indeed this is an RMA case...
Thanks all for your help!

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

Please RMA the unit. I hope you'll get a new one soon.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Return to “General fitlet questions”