mSATA disk not detected when DisplayPort is connected

kjep

mSATA disk not detected when DisplayPort is connected

Post by kjep »

Hello,

My goal is to have my computer connected to its regular monitor (a NEC MultiSync EA 224WMi) using DisplayPort and to be able to hot plug HDMI screens when needed.

I have two disk in the system:
disk 0: Intel SSDMCEA 120 GB (mSATA)
disk 1: Intel SSDSC2C 240 GB (SATA)

If I cold boot the computer with a monitor connected to the DisplayPort, the first disk (mSATA) is not detected during POST or later by Linux. If I connect the DisplayPort after boot everything works fine.

I have tried every variation of 1, 2 and 3 connected monitors via HDMI and DP and it's the DP that causes problems. The other combinations work fine (or sort of, see below).

I have tried various settings in BIOS for "IGD Boot type" and that doesn't seem to have any impact on whether or not the disk is detected. I did however notice that even with it set to HDMI2, the POST screen is still displayed on HDMI1 if there are monitors attached to both of them.

Are there any known issues with mSATA and DP? Any suggestions on other things I could do to make it work?

Regards
Johan

mbirger

Re: mSATA disk not detected when DisplayPort is connected

Post by mbirger »

There are no known issues between the mSATA and DP. Actually there should be no correlation between the two in terms of HW. Actually we have a lot of customers, including myself, who operate mSATA, HDD storage, DP and HDMI at the same time, and everything is just fine.

Some strange sort of correlation (if at all). I would recommend trying to reset the BIOS first:
http://www.fit-pc.com/wiki/index.php/IP ... leshooting

Next I would recommend trying other mSATA and afterwards reinstall the OS. If you have an option try under Windows.

kjep

Post by kjep »

Thank you for the feedback!

I did a BIOS reset, then entered BIOS and only changed date/time and activated the Diagnostics screen.

Then I booted the IPC with only the mSATA disk installed and monitors attached to all three connectors. The mSATA disk was not detected by BIOS, so the OS could not boot. See attachment.

Then I powered off, removed the DP cable, and powered on again. Now the mSATA disk was detected, see next attachment, and the OS booted normally.

Unfortunately I don't have any other mSATA to try. It does not seem to be OS related either since BIOS first needs to find the disk to boot anything.
Attachments
Without DP connected
Without DP connected
IPC without DP.jpg (153.74 KiB) Viewed 8769 times
With DP connected
With DP connected
IPC with DP.jpg (185.44 KiB) Viewed 8769 times

kjep

Post by kjep »

Did some more trials.

After booting Linux I plugged in the DP monitor and rebooted. Then everything worked fine and my desktop can cover all three screens.

If I shut down and remove power completely, then power up again, now everything works. But if I shut down and then power on with the power button in the back, the mSATA is not detected if the DP is connected. So a hard power off (remove power cable) - power on is needed.

I've also noticed that sometimes after shut down the IPC2 logo on the front remains lit even with the power LED red. Sometimes the IPC2 logo goes out. Don't know what controls that and if there is a connection to the problem.

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

So following your case we have tried again similar setup with several mSATA drives.
There is no correlation between DP and mSATA at all.
The problem may be generic with Intel mSATA but somehow it is triggered by DP. We have tried Micron / Crucial / BIWIN - all are working fine.

I suggest trying some other mSATA SSD card.

Return to “IPC2 Hardware”