24x7 weather computer

dcsmith

24x7 weather computer

Post by dcsmith »

Fit PC 2 is exactly what I have been looking for! I am planning on building a 24x7 weather computer using the following:

fit-PC2 Diskless
OCZ OCZSSD2-1VTX30G 30GB SATA 2 (SDD)
24x10x24 USB 2.0 External Slim CDRW/8x DVD-ROM Drive

I have a standard USB keyboard & mouse
I have a older Samsung LCD Monitor SyncMaster 171P (DVI-D)
I believe the fit-PC2 Diskless comes with a DVI-D (female) to HDMI (male) adapter.
I plan to install Windows XP Pro SP1 & Update to SP3 (plus current patches)

I believe I should be "good to go". Am I missing anything? I'm concerned about drivers in the original Windows XP Pro installation CD not supporting the fit-PC2 diskless.

Suggestions welcomed.

yogev_ezra

Re: 24x7 weather computer

Post by yogev_ezra »

You have all Windows XP drivers available from Compulab at this link:
http://www.fit-pc2.com/download/xp-drivers/
So there should be no problem to install them all after XP installation.

The adapter included with Fit-PC2 is indeed DVI-D (female) to HDMI (male) adapter.

dcsmith

Post by dcsmith »

Great! I have bookmarked that link.

So you're saying Windows XP will install fine from the original CD. Then all I have to do is to add/update the drivers from that link.

yogev_ezra

Post by yogev_ezra »

dcsmith wrote:So you're saying Windows XP will install fine from the original CD. Then all I have to do is to add/update the drivers from that link.
Correct.

dcsmith

Post by dcsmith »

Is there installation documentation other than the release notes? I see there are two different graphics adapter updates. The pecs on the web page indicate the fit-PC 2 uses a GMA500 adapter, so I assume I would use that one.

How about a generic installation guide?

yogev_ezra

Post by yogev_ezra »

There are 2 different display drivers for the same graphic card.
GMA500 offers better performance but does not support headless operation.
IEGD supports headless operation and Remote Desktop connection but the graphic performance is not the best.

For your particular case, I assume you will use Remote Desktop to connect to Fit-PC2 from another computer? If so, then you are suggested to install IEGD driver.

dcsmith

Post by dcsmith »

I just found your previous post on the headless operation issue. You are correct. Once I build the PC and install the app, the only connections to the box will be power. I will use RDP for any management. The wireless interface should be sufficient for the weather data upload.

Here's the data upload from my current dinosaur PC.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/fin ... uery=32533

yogev_ezra

Post by yogev_ezra »

Then definitely install IEGD and not GMA500.

Regarding other drivers and installation guide - it's really as simple as click "Next", "Next", "Finish", reboot the computer, then install another driver.
It is assumed that if you are able to install XP yourself, then the drivers are not a problem for you. In rare case when you do have a problem, you are welcome to ask a specific question on this forum.

dcsmith

Post by dcsmith »

I just found the fit-pc 2 owner's manual. It looks like a 2.5" drive just "slides in" to the PC? Is it fair to assume that a standard SATA 2 2.5" drive has the connectors in the right place? I was expecting to need to cable up the power & data connections. Needless to say, I have never dealt with SATA drives.

Drive of choice:

OCZ OCZSSD2-1VTX30G 30GB SATA 2

yogev_ezra

Post by yogev_ezra »

All 2.5" SATA drives have the same connectors location and pinout, regardless of their internal architecture (platter or SSD). So you can safely assume that any 2.5" SATA drive with standard height (9.5 mm) will just fit in. Note that 12.5 mm height drives will NOT fit (this is not your case, but just a general warning).

As to your particular drive, we (Green Gadgets) have sold a few Fit-PC2 with OCZ 30GB 2.5" SATA drives, and all our clients so far are happy.

Return to “fit-PC2 hardware”