Upgrading Mint Linux on Brand New MintBox 2

Scribe

Upgrading Mint Linux on Brand New MintBox 2

Post by Scribe »

A little over a year ago I bought two new MintBox 2 units with Mint 16 (Petra) installed.

The original plan was to use one as a Web server and the other as a local file/archive server.

I set up the first MintBox and got through the initial update processes. I have been using this unit for more than a year, but the original project plans have suffered from a lack of time, as well as a failure on the (very old) Dell server that recently had the Web server duty.

The MintBox I'm using functions fine. The only problem is that support for Mint 16 has been discontinued, and I didn't notice that until November. It turns out that even the software archives have been removed. This means I will now have to upgrade the MintBox to Mint 17.

I'm okay with this, but I'm not sure what problems I may encounter during the upgrade. If you have any insight into possible problems, I would appreciate knowing what they would be before I do the upgrade.

Further, I will have to address this with the other MintBox 2, which is still unopened in its original box. What can I expect the very first time I start this box up? I seem to recall the the first thing my original MintBox did when I set it up was to update the OS. This, of course, will not succeed.

Is there any reason I would have trouble upgrading that unit to Mint 17 fresh out of the box?

Any guidance is appreciated.

mbirger

Re: Upgrading Mint Linux on Brand New MintBox 2

Post by mbirger »

We definitely recommend moving to Linux Mint 17.3, as our official pre-installed version:
https://plus.google.com/104822148679589 ... 5275LyCUYe

You're not expected to experience problems with 17.3.
During the first boot Linux loads automatically on power up. Upon boot you will be guided through the Linux Mint first-boot setup procedure. After that you may update to 17.3

Scribe

Re: Upgrading Mint Linux on Brand New MintBox 2

Post by Scribe »

Thanks very much.

I will proceed accordingly.

Return to “Linux Mint”